Van Pelt elected sports editor for 101st volume

Sophomore Mike Van Pelt was elected sports editor for the 2005-2006 year by The Chronicle sports staff Tuesday night. His term begins in May.

A graduate of Clarkstown South High School in West Nyack, N.Y., Van Pelt intends to improve and build on the relationship with The Chronicle’s readers by providing more in-depth and insightful coverage of men’s basketball and adding more graphics to the daily layouts in an effort to increase readability.

Van Pelt also intends to strengthen the quality of the section’s writing thought more diligent copy editing and more comprehensive reporting.

He plans to develop a more elaborate writer and editor training, as well as work on staff development by bringing in outsiders to help train his staff.

Currently the sports managing editor, Van Pelt has served as the beat writer for women’s lacrosse and women’s soccer while also covering football and basketball. His responsibilities this past year have also included arranging press credentials for all road games, and as a freshman, Van Pelt served as a staff writer for the sports section.

The Nanuet, N.Y., native is majoring in public policy, minoring in economics, and pursuing the policy journalism and media certificate.

Share and discuss “Van Pelt elected sports editor for 101st volume” on social media.