Hokies fear Duke backlash

Duke is 25-3 coming off a loss since the 1997-1998 season, and Virginia Tech understands its predicament all too well heading into tonight’s  9 p.m. matchup in Blacksburg, Va.

No team wants to face Duke coming off a loss. After all, the Blue Devils (18-3, 8-3 in the ACC) are 25-3 in such meetings since the 1997-1998 season.

Virginia Tech (12-10, 5-6) understands its predicament all too well. Among those 25 victories is Duke’s 100-65 win over the Hokies Jan. 18 in Cameron Indoor Stadium. That game was a physical one and, just like tonight’s 9 p.m. matchup in Blacksburg, Va., was preceded by a closely-contested Blue Devil loss to Maryland.

“Once again, Gary [Williams] has done a really nice job for me in giving us an angry Duke team,” Virginia Tech head coach Seth Greenberg said. “I really appreciate that.”

Both teams have struggled on the defensive end lately. The Hokies, who have lost four of their last five games, have given up over 80 points three times over the stretch. The Blue Devils gave up 99 points in their overtime loss to the Terrapins and also surrendered 94 to Wake Forest Feb. 2.

One reason for Duke’s defensive woes has been foul trouble. Before the season started, many questions circulated about Duke’s lack of depth. Only on two occasions has foul trouble been a major factor, but in Saturday’s loss to Maryland, the walls came tumbling down.

“Over the last four games our defense hasn’t been consistent,” head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “We just haven’t been as disciplined in handling our foul situation. We have to move our feet better and be smarter about how we’re doing that stuff.”Four players fouled out against the Terps, including Daniel Ewing, who recorded a technical foul for the second time in four games.

“Daniel is our primary ball-handler and our on-ball defender,” Krzyzewski said. “Even if we have him in the game, if he’s in foul trouble he’s not going to do his job as well, and it gives your opponent an edge.”

Although depth has been a problem, two Blue Devils are on their way back and will bolster Duke’s bench. Senior Reggie Love and freshman Dave McClure are almost recovered from leg injuries. Love broke his right foot against Clemson Jan. 2 and is questionable for the Virginia Tech contest. McClure had a loose body removed from his left knee, and appears doubtful to return tonight.

If one looks at the statistics, this game would appear to be a runaway victory for Duke. The Blue Devils possess significant advantages in most major team categories, with the exception of steals and turnovers.

Despite these indicators, Ewing knows not to take anything for granted.

“They’re still a pretty good team, and we’re going to play in their backyard,” Ewing said. “I’m pretty sure they remember when they came down here what kind of game it was. It’s a new environment for us. As a team we’ve never played up there before, but we know they’re going to be ready to play.”

Virginia Tech’s best performances this season have come from its sophomore guard tandem of Jamon Gordon and Zabian Dowdell, both natives of Florida. Gordon, the point guard, leads the ACC with 2.5 steals per game and also averages 10.8 points and 4.4 assists per game. Dowdell, the shooting guard, leads the Hokies with 15.3 points per game and has been the catalyst for an offense that can be stagnant at times.

“[Dowdell] really has the ability to create separation and get off shots,” Greenberg said. “We are really blessed to have a player as talented as he is because of his work ethic. He’s just a very good basketball player, and a better person.”

Share and discuss “Hokies fear Duke backlash” on social media.