Crime Briefs

Benches found in pond

Two wooden benches were removed from concrete and thrown into a frozen pond at the Sarah P. Duke Gardens, the Duke University Police Department reported Jan. 25. The benches, worth $2,500, have considerable damage and may need to be replaced.

Four cars burgled; multiple items missing

Police are investigating four vehicle burglaries. Three occurred Jan. 24 with one car from the PGII parking deck, one on Cornwallis Road and the third at the Duke Center for Living. A doctor in Duke North reported his 1999 Chevrolet Suburban was parked in PG11 level 7 and someone smashed a passenger window and tried to steal his stereo. In the second case, a jogger who had parked his 2004 Pontiac said someone threw a boulder through his window and took his cell phone. In the last case, a rock was used to smash a window and gain entry to a car parked at the Center for Living. Taken were a wallet, cell phone, gym bag and compact discs.

An employee’s car was broken into Jan. 25, and a stereo was removed from the dashboard. The Toyota Avalon was parked on the second level of the hospital parking garage when someone pried the window glass until it broke to gain entry. The cost of the stereo and damage is $725.

Student cited for marijuana

Sophomore Lauren McLaughlin, 19, was cited at 4:18 p.m. Thursday for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia, according to a DUPD incident report. Officers responded to a room and recovered rolling papers, a glass pipe and a half ounce of what they believed to be marijuana worth $50. McLaughlin did not return requests for comment.

Doctor reports stalker

A Duke doctor has reported being stalked by a woman who is phoning and sending e-mails and text messages to him, according to a police report. The woman, who lives in England, has visited the doctor without invitation and sent gifts.

Student’s bike stolen

A student’s Trek mountain bike was stolen from Gilbert-Addoms residence hall. The $150 bike was locked to a rack behind the residence hall on Jan. 19. When the student returned Jan. 24, he discovered the bike and cable lock missing.

Money missing from campus eatery

The manager for Armadillo Grill in the Bryan Center reported $902 missing from the restaurant Jan. 25. The manager learned of the missing cash after reviewing receipts and talking with an employee.

Money bags stolen from Auxiliary Services

Auxiliary Services reported Jan. 25 the theft of a large money bag containing five smaller money bags from the Bryan Center. The amount of cash in the tan canvas bags is unknown.

Cash taken from Aramark safe

A money bag containing $62.46 was reported stolen Jan. 24 from a safe in the Aramark business office in the Duke North cafeteria.

Violin stolen from dorm room

A Duke student has reported her violin stolen from her room in Keohane Quadrangle. Sophomore Sabrina West said that before she left for holiday break on Dec. 16, she hid the $1,000 violin in her room. She discovered the violin missing Jan. 26.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.