QB coach resigns

After only one season at Duke, assistant coach Tom Knotts has stepped down to return to high school.

Before taking the job last February, Knotts led Charlotte Independence High School to four consecutive state championships and a 63-1 record. Knotts spent 21 years coaching at the high school level before accepting an offer to coach at Duke. He has not announced where he will coach next season.

“Tom’s contributions to the Duke football program as an assistant coach and former player are greatly appreciated,” Roof said. “We wish him well as he follows his passion for high school football.”

Knotts, the former quarterback coach, is the second offensive coach to leave head coach Ted Roof’s staff. Roof announced Dec. 19 offensive coordinator Marty Galbraith had also decided to leave the program; Bill O’Brien was later named his replacement.

During Knott’s one season at Duke, three different quarterbacks took a significant number of snaps, which created instability for the offense. The Blue Devils won just two games, and their attack ranked last in the league in scoring, total offense and red zone offense. The team also ranked next-to-last in the conference in passing offense.

None of Duke’s three quarterbacks were as talented as those Knotts coached at Independence High. He tutored Chris Leek, a sophomore at Florida, who won the SEC Freshman of the Year award during the 2003 season. Knotts also coached talented current high school senior Joe Cox, who said he would play for Duke before accepting an offer from Georgia.

All but one of the high school quarterbacks Knotts coached signed a Division I or Division I-AA scholarship.

Share and discuss “QB coach resigns” on social media.