Basketball recruits to sign today

A recruting class head coach Mike Krzyzewski has been eyeing for years will finally come together when the early signing period opens today. Five recruits, including Josh McRoberts and Greg Paulus, make up a deep and strong recruiting class, which could grow in the comimg months.

A recruiting class head coach Mike Krzyzewski has been eyeing for years will finally come together when the four-day early signing period for men’s basketball opens today.

Power forward Josh McRoberts headlines an incoming class of five recruits that will provide much-needed depth at every position. Joining McRoberts in Duke’s class of 2005 will be point guard Greg Paulus, versatile forward Jamal Boykin, center Eric Boateng and shooting guard Martynas Pocius.

“It’s a relief,” Boykin said. “When I look through magazines and see Duke players, when I started watching them on TV this year, just the fact that I’m going to be there next year is a great feeling.”

For McRoberts, the early signing period will mark the arrival of an event that has been a long time in the making. He made his verbal commitment to the program in September 2003.

The 6-foot-11 McRoberts is considered the best player in a strong Blue Devil class and is currently the No. 3 prospect in the nation. Although he has spent much of the fall nursing an sprained ankle, McRoberts expects to be at full strength when his high school season begins in a few weeks and is eager to officially end the recruiting process today.

“I’m looking forward to it, although I don’t know what I’m signing yet,” McRoberts said.

Paulus, on the other hand, has spent much of his autumn on the gridiron, quarterbacking his Christian Brothers Academy team to a perfect 10-0 record. In addition to being a top-three point guard recruit, Paulus is the reigning New York State Player of the Year in football and is considered to be the top quarterback prospect in the nation.

Despite the football accolades, Paulus is likely to eschew a possible college football career to play basketball for Krzyzewski.

“All the majors are still calling him, but he’s not interested in any of that,” Dave Paulus, Greg’s father said of the nation’s top college football programs. “He’s committed to coming to Duke to play for Coach K.”

Paulus will play for the New York State Section III Championship Saturday. In his last game, the CNY championships, Paulus threw for 274 yards and scored four touchdowns, three of which came through the air. So far this year, he has thrown for 2,774 yards with 37 touchdown passes, giving him 10,769 yards and 146 touchdown passes for his career.

With his strong leadership skills and immense talent, Paulus would immediately contend for the starting point guard role next season. McRoberts and Boateng would provide badly needed post depth next season, especially if power forward Shelden Williams decides to forgo his senior year and declare for the NBA draft.

Boykin’s versatility will make him an attractive option to replace senior Reggie Love’s rebounding and defense, while Pocius’ 42 percent three-point shooting percentage will make him a suitable backup for shooting guard J.J. Redick. Krzyzewski is also thought to be looking for one more player to bring the class to an even six.

Of the five, McRoberts is the only player who might be ready to enter the NBA draft. Fortunately for Coach K and his squad, McRoberts will likely put off these NBA aspirations for the time being, as he expects to put on a Blue Devil uniform next fall.

“I think that I’m definitely looking forward to being at Duke,” McRoberts said.

Michael Mueller contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Basketball recruits to sign today” on social media.