SPORTS  |  COLUMNS

Storied Tar Heels prime for upset

Since 1986, the men’s basketball team has gone on an obscenely successful stretch. Three national championships, 10 Final Fours, a bevy of conference titles, All-Americans and Players of the Year—it’s become the standard for college basketball.

In the same time span, the North Carolina women’s soccer program has won 14 NCAA titles and has gone 425-13-13, setting the standard of dominance in all of college athletics. The U.S. National Teams are consistently teeming with Tar Heel alums, including the face of the sport, Mia Hamm.

Perhaps the most impressive stretch began Sept. 22, 1990. On that day, UNC fell to Connecticut 3-2 in overtime. It was the Tar Heels’ first loss in 103 games. They wouldn’t lose again for another 101 contests when, Oct. 19, 1994, fourth-ranked Duke toppled mighty North Carolina. It was the Tar Heels’ first home loss—ever.

“Duke played a tremendous game,” UNC head coach Anson Dorrance remarked to The Associated Press afterward. “The nature of soccer is that it is unbelievably easy to score sometimes, but amazingly difficult at other times.”

The Blue Devils had been outshot 34-11. They’d beaten a squad that had drilled them 9-1 in the NCAA title game just two years before. And they’d done it away from home.

“We weren’t scared of the Tar Heels today,” said Kelly Walbert, who had scored the decisive goal in the 3-2 victory. “It’s a dream come true. In a sense it’s history, and in a sense it’s something to build on.”

Indeed, Duke continued to build upon that success, as it has remained one of the elite soccer programs in the country. But as good as the Blue Devils have been, they’ve been unable to knock off the Heels since that one victory.

Duke will tempt fate once again Thursday, when it heads into the pits of Chapel Hell to square off against the Tar Heels, who are in a down year of sorts—they’re only ranked second in the country.

But the stage will be perfect for a Duke upset. Here’s why:

North Carolina will be celebrating itself and its 25 years of utter dominance prior to the contest. This will lead to a lack of focus, and will give Duke the early-game mental advantage.

Duke is darn good. With one of the best seniors in the country in Casey McCluskey, coupled with the nation’s best sophomore class, the Blue Devils have the ability to play with anyone in the country.

Duke is due for a big win. Coming off a disappointing loss to Maryland this weekend, the Blue Devils’ last win over a top-10 opponent came against Florida State a few weeks ago. That contest, which Duke won 2-0, is indicative of the significance of the team’s potential. Head coach Robbie Church called his squad “very, very good,” which is the level they’ll need to play at to down the Tar Heels.

Fate. 10 years ago, Duke toppled an unbeatable team. Why not Thursday, too?

The biggest challenge for the Blue Devils—other than their opponents—will be the enormous crowd the Tar Heels will summon. Indeed, UNC is pulling out all the stops to attract people to the stands. Among the lures are a post-game fireworks show, an auction for a five-pound Hershey’s bar and a Halloween costume contest that will award a mountain bike to the winner. All that, plus the promise of watching the greatest rivalry in college sports played out on a women’s soccer field.

I urge you to head out to Chapel Hill Thursday evening and watch the Blue Devils try to repeat history against the vaunted Heels.

Share and discuss “Storied Tar Heels prime for upset” on social media.