Council eyes funds for studies

Professors and deans discussed how best to turn undergraduates into researchers at Thursday’s meeting of the Arts and Sciences Council.

Making research a normal part of the undergraduate experience is a major goal for the University, explained Robert Thompson, dean of Trinity College. He and George McLendon, dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences, are seeking additional funding that could provide research grants or course relief—a reduction in teaching load—to reward the time that faculty and graduate students spend on undergraduate research projects.

McLendon and Thompson recognized that many challenges lie ahead, especially for large departments.

“If economics doesn’t figure out how to do this, we won’t reach our goal,” McLendon said. “We’re going to need your guidance.”

Consistency between departments was a major theme of the discussion. Christopher Conover, assistant research professor of public policy, expressed surprise at the variation across departments in the minimum grade-point average required for graduation with distinction, and Ian Baucom, associate professor of English, proposed regularizing senior thesis deadlines across departments.

“Some construction of a University habit is going to be necessary,” Baucom said.

There will need to be a culture of student commitment to scholarship in order for undergraduate research to expand, Thompson and McLendon both commented. Joshua Sosin, assistant professor of classical studies, reminded the council that students who become involved in scholarship rarely do so for financial incentives alone.

“We have to make it more normative as an expectation,” Thompson said. “We have to get them to aspire to do it.”

Despite these reservations, the faculty response was generally positive.

“Our faculty is very interested in the idea of course relief,” Leslie Digby, assistant research professor of biological anthropology and anatomy, said on behalf of her department. “What can we do to help the process along?”

McLendon wryly noted that potential donor have not yet confirmed their support of the initiative. “I would say, ‘Pray.’”

In other business:

Alex Roland, chair of the search committee appointed to find the next University librarian, reported that three finalists for the position will be identified by Nov. 29 and will then begin the process of public visits to campus.

Former University librarian David Ferriero left over the summer to become Andrew W. Mellon director and chief executive of the research libraries at New York Public Library.

“He’s going to be a very tough act to follow,” Roland said.

Share and discuss “Council eyes funds for studies” on social media.