Game Commentary: UVa. coach's technical foul lights fire under Blue Devils

Nothing was going smoothly for Duke. With four minutes and change left in the first half, the Blue Devils had committed 11 turnovers, and were ahead of a weak Virginia team by only five points. But with a quick sleight of hand Alana Beard made a game-changing play.

After Brittany Hunter bricked a short floater in the lane, Virginia's Brandi Teamer grabbed the rebound and secured the ball with two hands. However, like a tiger stalking its prey, Beard snuck up behind Teamer and slapped the ball out of her grip. Then Beard retrieved the ball and attacked the basket. Teamer was helpless as Beard maneuvered around her and kissed the ball off the glass for two points.

Cavalier head coach Debbie Ryan erupted. She marched right up to the official on the baseline and vehemently demanded an explanation for why Beard was allowed to knock into Teamer and get away with it. From the sidelines it appeared that there was contact on the play, but nothing too unusual. The ruling could've gone either way, but it was not a certain missed call. When Duke and Virginia square off, it's always a physical contest, and the officials were letting both teams get away with some rough play.

For her efforts, Ryan was awarded a technical foul which changed the flow of the game. From that point on the Blue Devils demolished the Cavaliers, 60-34. After the game, Beard gave her thoughts about the play.

"I think as a team we needed some intensity in the first half," Beard said. "Usually when another coach gets a technical, it's a boost for their team, but I think it was more of a boost for our team. We really needed that intensity out there. I definitely think it was a turning point for us."

Ryan, meanwhile, had a different point of view.

"I don't get technical fouls. It's just not my nature, it's not about me at all.... We're not allowed to talk about the officiating, but I just felt like we were getting the short end of the stick tonight. Some players were allowed to do things that other players aren't allowed to do in the whole league."

Share and discuss “Game Commentary: UVa. coach's technical foul lights fire under Blue Devils” on social media.