U.S. Immigration policy improved

Yesterday, President Bush announced an ambitious plan to grant temporary worker status to illegal immigrants. These three-year visas represent a step in the right direction towards finding a solution to the illegal immigration dilemma that has been plaguing U.S. immigration policy.

Prior to receiving a permit, two conditions would have to be met: prospective employees would have to prove that they have a job and perspective employers would have to demonstrate that they were unable to find citizens willing to take the job. These conditions are designed to ensure that there will not be a flood of unemployed workers and that these workers will not be stealing American jobs. We find both of these conditions to be particularly attractive: by attempting to guarantee both employment and that the workers would not be taking American jobs, two common criticisms of both legal and illegal immigrants, the proposal could lessen stereotypes and animosity towards immigrants that is felt among segments of the American population who feel that they are losing their jobs to the immigrants.

The move, coming in an election year and shortly before a summit with Mexican President Vicente Fox, may be designed to bolster Bush's support in the Hispanic community. Additionally, by granting these workers social security benefits even when they return to Mexico, the plan could increase the pressure on an already straining Social Security system.

Despite such concerns, we feel that this measure should be applauded--not as a permanent solution but as a reasonable first step. The plan addresses many concerns about illegal immigrants by better integrating the workers into society in general. They will no longer have reason to fear the police, a simple visit to an emergency room or other interaction with government authorities. Legalization, along with the ability to receive social security payments after their return to their native country, provides sufficient incentive for the immigrants to register with the program, despite the possibility that they could be forced to leave after three years time.

The registration process also makes it possible for greater national security. By registering the immigrants, governmental authorities would be better equipped to track or monitor individuals. Also, any worker found to be in violation of United States law would lose their eligibility to participate in the program and face deportation.

While Bush's proposal is a good first step towards integration of illegals into society, there are still concerns that need to be addressed regarding the workers' status after the first three years, possibility of citizenship for workers who would like to stay longer in America and the effects of the program on Social Security. Nonetheless we applaud the Bush White House for its bold proposal.

Share and discuss “U.S. Immigration policy improved” on social media.