Duke vs. Texas

NEW YORK, NY -- In what head coach Mike Krzyzewski called his best game of the season, senior point guard Chris Duhon put on a masterful performance in front of thousands of Duke fans and alums in Madison Square Garden. Undoubtedly, this was Duhon's opus. The much-criticized former National High School Player of the Year delivered 15 points, dished out nine assists and collected three steals--all while committing just one turnover--as he orchestrated Duke's embarrassment of Texas from the opening tip to the waning moments of the contest.

Fittingly, Duhon got the tumbleweed rolling immediately, as he dropped a three on Texas to start the game. The Longhorns' offense was lassoed by Duke's stalwart defense early--the nation's eleventh-ranked team was a dismal 25 percent from the floor in the first 20 minutes--therefore commencing the rout.

"Duhon played a great game," Krzyzewski said. "He was spectacular.... His quickness and his verve gave us so much confidence."

It was that leadership-by-example that was the most important consequence of Duhon's performance. Duke's post play was efficient and dominant, as Shelden Williams and Shavlik Randolph combined for 24 points, 18 rebounds and five blocks; J.J. Redick's shot began to fall at a scary rate (4-for-6 from beyond the arc); and Sean Dockery continued his stellar sophomore year with 10 points on perfect 4-for-4 shooting from the field and 2-for-2 shooting from the foul line.

Krzyzewski credited the potency of Duke's balanced attack to Duhon, who admittedly struggled in his leadership role last year.

"He knows that he's playing with guys that have confidence in who they are," the 24-year head coach said, who is now just two wins away from his 600th career victory in Durham.

The Slidell, La., native was effective because Texas could not contain his penetration, nor close out the passing lanes that Duhon created with his drives to the basket. His performance crescendoed throughout the game, with the occasional staccato--a few marvelous layups with multiple Longhorns collapsing, and a behind the back assist to Luol Deng serving as the most sonorous highlights.

Krzyzewski was quick to point out, however, that Duhon's performance was hardly an anomaly. Duhon has played well all season long, in stark contrast to his junior campaign. Saturday's showing was merely an anthology of his myriad improvements--better decision-making, an improved ability to finish near the basket, better vision, crisper passes, and now, a knack for coming up big in big games.

This trend perhaps started for Duhon at the end of last season, when the Blue Devils fell to Kansas in the Elite Eight. Krzyzewski said then that it had been Duhon's best performance. And it was no coincidence that it was the team's best game of the year, as well.

Saturday was no different. And if Duhon and the Blue Devils can continue their stellar play as Duke moves into its ACC schedule, the No. 3 Blue Devils will be singing some sweet tunes come April.

Share and discuss “Duke vs. Texas” on social media.