Career Week lures alumni, students

CEOs, VPs, teachers, social workers, a state senator--and a stunt man.

Duke Career Week will kick off Sunday with an impressive list of returning alumni from a variety of backgrounds and a number of entertaining and informative events. While the presenters are turning heads on campus and at other institutions, including Stanford University, programmers are satisfied knowing they are helping students get a little closer to determining their futures.

Sheila Curran, executive director of the Career Center, hopes the week will influence all students who attend and aid some in finding an interest they may have never considered before.

"Students come with careers they think they ought to be doing. The reason they don't change their minds is they don't know what's going on," Curran said.

She credited the variety of careers alumni have pursued as an aid to broadening students' horizons. Additionally, alumni who will participate in panel discussions include members of the minority, gay and international communities.

"We tried to make it all inclusive and representative of what Duke currently is," said Racquel White, assistant director of the Career Center.

Curran helped model Career Week after a similar program she designed at Brown University. She said this year's program, however, was unparalleled in terms of popularity and breadth and depth of events.

"None are as comprehensive as this in attracting alumni to come back and students to come," Curran said. "Having this kind of interest... it's a little scary."

Close to 1,500 students are already signed up, in addition to the almost 200 alumni slated to attend during the week. Notable alumni include Richard Wagoner of GM, who will be the keynote speaker Saturday, Jan. 31; Illinois state senator Chris Lauzen; and Disney-MGM Studios stuntman Ray Eddy.

The alumni presence will also offer benefits to the University, in addition to what they can provide as resources for students. "People are excited about this event. They have a chance to reconnect with some of the alums," White said.

Career Week is also giving the Career Center and the Office of Alumni Affairs and Development a chance to interact, a seemingly necessary bond that has not been present in years past.

"It is really unique to have a connection between alumni affairs and the Career Center. The alumni affairs office has been very supportive, as has [Vice President for Student Affairs] Larry Moneta," Curran said. In addition to a full schedule of panels, presentations and discussions, programmers have included several events designed to entertain while still maintaining the career-oriented focus. Duke University Improv will perform Sunday in Baldwin Auditorium, a wine tasting and etiquette dinner, open only to seniors, will be held Jan. 28 at the Washington Duke Inn; and a career fashion show will be presented Jan. 30 in Page Auditorium.

White said the wine tasting and etiquette dinner was included as an event because it was important for students to know how to handle themselves at a formal dinner with interviewers or companies' senior officers. Curran agreed, noting that for many students, the dinner would provide a chance to learn something new.

"The kinds of things they're getting in the wine tasting and etiquette dinner are not a typical part of a college experience," Curran said.

The fashion show will feature 40 student models and outfits from eight retailers. The show will present on-the-job attire, as well as wardrobes for interviewing, sporting events and business outings. Tickets are still available today on the Bryan Center walkway.

Fashion show organizer Georgetta Nicol, a senior, said she was excited about Career Week, both for this year and in the future.

"I'm looking forward to going as a student and hopefully coming back as an alum," Nicol said.

Nicol is not the only student who has helped in developing programming. Curran said the Career Center received input from students about many of the programs and career panels.

Megan Wilson, a program and marketing specialist at the Career Center, said all bases are being covered.

"We are using every trick in the book to make this a fun learning experience," Wilson said.

Students who have not yet registered can still sign up on the Career Center website at career.studentaffairs.duke.edu.

Share and discuss “Career Week lures alumni, students” on social media.