200 UNC students hit by outbreak

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill's Student Health Service has seen approximately 130 students afflicted with a mysterious illness, puzzling administrators and SHS officials alike. Although the epidemic seems to have tapered off, UNC has yet to identify the cause of the mini-outbreak.

Concern arose when SHS noted a rise in the number of patients reporting nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. UNC health officials initiated an investigation last Wednesday in collaboration with the Orange County Health Department to pinpoint the cause of the illness.

The total number of cases, including those students that did not actually visit SHS, is approximately 200, The Daily Tarheel reported.

SHS took vomit and stool samples from students who came in with gastrointestinal symptoms. The cultures were sent to the State Laboratory of Public Health in Raleigh for both bacteriological and virological tests, but results have been delayed due to the recent inclement weather.

"As far as we know there are no additional large numbers of students who have become ill," OCHD health director Rosemary Summers said. Summers said the outbreak is localized on campus and appears to be winding down. While test results are necessary to identify the illness and its source, the department has ruled out water supply contamination as the cause.

"If it were the water supply we would have seen a more widespread outbreak. It would have been in the community as well as on campus," Summers said. "Because we haven't seen any increased number of new cases there are no control measures that we are recommending at this time."

SHS recommended precautionary measures for all students, stressing the need to wash hands frequently and clean and disinfect contaminated surfaces.

Summers said there are no outbreaks of a similar nature at other universities at this time.

Share and discuss “200 UNC students hit by outbreak” on social media.