With pressure gone, Duhon ready to shine

Before last year's men's basketball season, point guard Chris Duhon was tabbed the 2002-2003 ACC preseason Player of the Year.

As one of only two returning starters on a team that lost All-Americans Jay Williams, Mike Dunleavy and Carlos Boozer to the NBA draft, Duhon--then a junior--seemed ready to take over the program and live up to the hype that surrounded him when he came to Duke as the 2000 Morgan Wootten Award recipient, given to the National High School Player of the Year.

Although Duhon did garner third-team All-ACC honors, he had what many considered a disappointing and inconsistent season, especially given the lofty expectations.

"Last year, I just felt as though I had to be perfect, and no one is perfect," Duhon said. "In doing that, I put a lot of pressure on myself. I've just got to worry about doing what it takes for us to be successful."

Duhon, known for his sharp passing skills, did average an impressive 6.4 assists per game and 212 total on the season--good for 11th in the NCAA--but he struggled with his shooting, hitting a team-worst 38.6 percent of his field goals and only 29 percent of his three-point attempts.

The Duke floor general did have a challenging task, charged with leading an extremely talented but very inexperienced team, highlighted by six freshmen who compromised the nation's No. 1 recruiting class.

This season, though, that group of six--led by Shavlik Randolph, Sheldon Williams and J.J. Redick--has a year of experience under its belt and should be able to take much of the pressure off Duhon, who has been named captain for the second consecutive year.

"Chris had a tough job last year," Redick said. "It was a young team, and he had to carry a big load. This year he's a senior and he won't have to lead as much because we have other experienced guys."

Ironically though, this could be the year that Duhon is most capable of taking the team on his shoulders.

After playing last year at around 200 pounds, the 6-foot-2 point guard has slimmed down this summer to 185, which he considers ideal for his style.

"I still have the strength of when I was 195 or 200 [pounds], but I'm just a little leaner and I just feel better," Duhon said. "I really concentrated on eating healthy and getting the right vitamins and nutrition in me. I stopped eating at McDonald's, Burger King and all those fast food places."

Duhon's increased quickness around the court should greatly improve his defensive prowess, which bodes well for a team that is focused first and foremost on shutting down its opponent's offense.

"Right now our main focus is team defense, and we're just going to build from there," he said. "Last year we allowed a lot of guys to get around us on the perimeter, a lot of people to destroy us inside. So we're just trying to focus on those areas, with our guards keeping guys in front, our big guys dominating the inside and everyone getting on the boards."

Duhon's renewed commitment seems to be paying dividends on the offensive end as well, according to his teammates.

"He's been one of the two best shooters in pick-up games," Redick said. "And he's attacking more on offense."

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski has also been pleased with his point guard's early season play and is ready to put last year behind him.

"One of the neat things about starting out is that you don't worry about last year, and everyone gets a fresh start," Krzyzewski said.

"Chris has done well in the preseason, and I think he's in really good shape."

Although Duhon ultimately hopes to lead the Blue Devils to his second national championship in four years, he also wants to enjoy his final collegiate season.

Last summer's career-threatening injury to his close friend and former teammate Jay Williams, who broke his pelvis and damaged ligaments in his left knee in a motorcycle accident, has helped Duhon put basketball into perspective.

"Looking at Jason, I though he was Superman, but Superman can get hurt, too," Duhon said. "It just opens your eyes.... It can all end tomorrow. I just want to enjoy these times we have in the locker room, on the court, off the court and just make the most of it."

Share and discuss “With pressure gone, Duhon ready to shine” on social media.