ND mulling options, no move imminent

Following published reports from USA Today and the Washington Post reporting that Notre Dame had been in contact with the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big Ten regarding possible admittance, ND Associate Athletic Director John Heisler told The Chronicle that the Fighting Irish was merely keeping its options open for the future and that no changes are imminent.

"That's basically what our position has been, and I don't know that that's anything new, frankly," Heisler said in a telephone interview from his office in South Bend, Ind. "That's what we've been telling people all through the summer, and through the rest of this upheaval."

Notre Dame, which has one of the NCAA's most tradition-rich and successful football programs, has been an independent on the gridiron for more than 90 years. The private school has maintained that independence despite turning down an invitation from the Big 10 in 1999, and a more recent courting from the ACC this past summer. Indeed, the Fighting Irish's alumni base has been a proponent of remaining independent.

However, Notre Dame's lucrative television deal with NBC and its relationship with the Bowl Championship Series--both unique to the sport--could be altered significantly in 2005. NBC's contract with Notre Dame expires in 2005, along with the contract with the BCS, which allows the Fighting Irish "easier access to one of the major bowls and a $14 million payday," according to USA Today.

Duke athletic director Joe Alleva told The Chronicle Thursday that the ACC was yet to discuss expanding beyond 12 schools, a number finalized just a month ago, when the league invited Boston College to join Miami and Virginia Tech as new members.

"Notre dame is a great school with a tremendous athletic program," Alleva said. "We would have to really think about going past 12 teams. It would depend on the finances and scheduling."

ACC Commissioner John Swofford told USA Today that the conference had "received informal inquiries about potential membership" from Notre Dame, but concluded by saying that "our sentiment is not to pursue any potential new members at this time."

Share and discuss “ND mulling options, no move imminent” on social media.