Volleyball unable to exorcise Demons

Coming in with a seven-game losing streak, the Blue Devil volleyball team (4-11, 0-3 in the ACC) was looking to turn things around as it hosted the Demon Deacons (12-3, 2-1) last night in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Duke, although unsuccessful, took Wake Forest to five games in a 3-2 loss.

With a commanding early lead, the Blue Devils won the first game 30-26.

"We made early adjustments and were playing with minimal errors in the first game," Duke head coach Jolene Nagel said.

Duke carried its intensity into the second game only to be met with an even thirstier Wake Forest team. Late in the game, the score was tied at 27 as both teams won alternating points until Wake Forest sophomore Valerie Rydberg made one of her 20 kills to win the game 31-29.

"They were led by their intensity and took advantage of it," senior Krista Dill said.

Running on momentum, the Demon Deacons were controlling the tempo early in the third game. The Blue Devils fought back and closed out the game by winning seven out of the last 11 points to capture the third game 30-26.

With the threat of defeat breathing down its back, Wake Forest became relentless.

"They made great adjustments," Dill said. "We gave them a little room, and in the ACC, when you give a team a little room, it can be the difference between a win and a loss."

In the fourth game, the Demon Deacons took a 15-9 lead before Wake Forest called the first time out. They then proceeded to gradually increase their lead to as high as 13 points, and evened the overall score at 2-2 with a 30-18 win.

"The only thing I would like to have changed was our offense," Nagel said. "We were blocking and hitting well but we couldn't keep with [Wake Forest's] offensive intensity."

Wake Forest emerged with an early lead in the fifth game, only to be met by Duke at seven points apiece before the first time out.

"We were hungry and we wanted this win," senior Katie Gilman said .

As the Demon Deacons increased their lead to 11-9, the Blue Devils' hopes for a victory were growing slim. After a Duke time out, the Demon Deacons increased the lead by two more points, 13-9.

"They are a solid team, and they were really attacking the ball great," Dill said. "We didn't have time to regroup."

Wake Forest never loosened its grip as the team had triple-match-point at 14-11. Crushing the Blue Devils' hopes, the Demon Deacons captured their second ACC victory by winning the final game 15-11.

"They're obviously very disappointed, and we just have to stay tough and keep pushing forward," said Nagel about her squad.

Despite the loss, the team is confident in its ability and sees nothing but improvement for the future.

"We are getting better every time we play," Dill said. "It's just the little things that need to be improved. We need to make simple adjustments. Despite that, it was a good team effort and we will take the necessary steps to improve."

Share and discuss “Volleyball unable to exorcise Demons” on social media.