Offense ignites in second period

What a difference one half can make. While the Duke men's soccer team controlled most of the first half against Dartmouth last night, it was not until the second period that it broke through to score and took an easy victory 4-0.

The Blue Devils (5-8-1, 2-3 in the ACC) and the Big Green (4-5-2) played an evenly matched first half, highlighted by some prolific scoring opportunities by both sides.

Dartmouth had its best chance early in the game as forward Rob Daly was able to get behind the Duke defense for a breakaway. Duke goalkeeper Justin Trowbridge, who recorded his second shutout in his last three games, came out of net and was able to deflect the ball off the crossbar.

The Blue Devils followed with numerous opportunities of their own, and at halftime they had a nine to three shot advantage on the Big Green.

"In the first half, we had three or four really good chances that we didn't finish on," Duke head coach John Rennie said. "That concerns you, but I thought we had control of the game."

At the start of the second half the Blue Devils proved their dominance. In the opening minute, the ACC's leading goal scorer, Nigi Adogwa, took a Danny Kramer pass and put in a goal from the left-hand side.

"I knew if we got one, then they would have to keep chasing us," said Adogwa, who tied a career high for goals in a season with eight. "The more they chased, we were able to get open and were able to score three more."

Following the Duke goal, Dartmouth mounted its strongest attack of the second half. With senior defenseman Matt Ahumada on the bench with a quadriceps injury, the Blue Devil defense looked a little bit out of sync. However, the Big Green were not able to capitalize before Duke regained control for good.

"A one-goal game is clearly not over," Trowbridge said. "A two-goal game puts them on their heels and in a three-goal game it is usually over."

In the 61st minute, Dartmouth keeper Scott Feighner blocked senior Justin Bodiya's initial shot, but he followed it up and then put in his own rebound. Bodiya finished the game with one goal and two assists.

Later in the second half, Jordan Cila put the game out of reach, scoring his third goal of the season. Danny Wymer added the Blue Devils' fourth goal with a perfectly placed shot from 30 yards out.

The victory was Duke's third in a row, following a difficult stretch in which the team went winless in nine straight games. Rennie and his players stressed that last night's win was just one game.

"You've got to win one at a time," coach Rennie said. "It is good for our confidence and for our morale."

The Blue Devils will take on UNC-Greensboro and Charlotte this weekend and are optimistic about their upcoming matchups.

"This is a big weekend with two possible wins coming up," Justin Bodiya said. "We will make the most of that and hopefully go into the ACC tournament on a high note. Every game counts now."

Share and discuss “Offense ignites in second period” on social media.