Entertainment: Opening up our Costume Box

Some people think that parties are all about getting drunk. But they are so wrong. Parties are about more than that. They are about dressing up... and then getting drunk. We're not talking about Chanel and Estée Lauder make-up (as patriotic Americans, we have boycotted all French products). We're talking about something bigger. Lipstick and eye shadow don't define a person. Dianne Vreeland of Vogue fame once said, "It's not the clothes we wear that our important, but rather the lives we live wearing them." Or something like that. We figure she was talking about theme parties.

The costume you choose can very well be an extension of yourself. If you are boring and dull, you may just wear a hat, or gasp, completely ignore the theme. But if you truly believe in the power of the creative spirit, half the fun of the night stems from the intricate concoction of used, outdated and probably sweat-stained clothing. If you still haven't mastered the art of such creative design, we are here to help.

Our 8 Favorite Themes:

Bitchin' 80s
For no other reason than listening to Prince and Journey all night, the 80s theme rules. Girls who just wanna have fun, check out Thrift World's seemingly never-ending supply of puffy sequined dresses and grab your roommate's crimper. Dudes, the answer to your costume queries is readily available in reruns of Miami Vice and Knightrider. Remember, don't let Billie Jean convince you that she's your lover, and don't stop believin' that the 80s is the greatest theme ever.

White Trash
Not the most politically correct of themes, but you can at least dress correctly for the theme. Everyone has a wife-beater, NASCAR and John Deere hats are available at any gas station (this IS Durham, after all), and for some reason they still sell Aviator sunglasses. To step further into the trailer, add a marker tattoo, a black eye and several blacked-out teeth. Grab a few cabbage patch children, which naturally you bring to the bar with you, and don't forget the Skoal.

Aristocrat/Country Club
For many of you, this is not much of a dress-up party. But for those who use hair gel or reside north of the Mason-Dixon line, the world of sweater vests, little horses and alligators presents a BME sized challenge. Sneak into your local Southerner's closet and pick from thirty shades of Easter polos and half of your outfit is set. Guys add short shorts (skinny white thighs are a must) and boat shoes, while girls grab pearls, a favorite Lilly skirt and a sweater around the neck.

Disco 70s
Fraternities have been known to create variations of this theme in order to recycle outfits. Boogie Nights, Decades, Disco Fever, Disco Inferno are all just excuses to wear the same polyester leisure suit and huge afro one more time. The place to go for disco gear is Time After Time in Chapel Hill. Get in touch with your inner flower child/John Travolta and get down on it.

Playboy Bunny/Pimps & Hos
So Hugh might not invite you to the mansion, but that doesn't mean you should miss out on the fun. For guys there is no better theme. Wear a silk robe and neckerchief, with tinted sunglasses so the girls can't see you staring. Girls, go nuts. Bust out a bustier, short skirt, fishnets, and the full bunny pack, complete with bow tie, ears and tail from Party World. Be warned, this theme may lower and/or eliminate inhibitions and proper judgment.

Convicts and Catholic School Girls
Britney Spears did wonders for this theme and being Humbert Humbert has never looked better. Girls, break out those Sacred Heart skirts, knee-high socks and, most importantly, the great bra peeking out from the white not-so-buttoned down shirt. Guys, bring big chains, baggy pants and enjoy the view. The good news is that finally these Catholic School girls aren't 16.

Revenge of the Nerds
Think middle school (high school for some of us). Watch reruns of Saved by the Bell and emulate Mr. Samuel "Screech" Powers. And let's be honest. This theme is a stretch for none of us. Break out the retainer you save for non-hook up nights and release your inner-geek. Suspenders, Harry Potter glasses, pigtails and pocket protectors. Or just be a Cameron Crazy.

Pep Rally
So maybe your official position in high school was left bench and maybe you watched football games in a band uniform, but Duke is all about reinventing yourself. Now you can be the star quarterback or the cheerleading captain, and you don't even have to sweat. The goal of this night is to score, but having a good costume is a close second. High school jerseys, headbands, giant foam fingers and Duke kids' size cheerleading costumes will fine tune your game.

Share and discuss “Entertainment: Opening up our Costume Box” on social media.