Student group plans walkout after war is announced

If the war began tomorrow, where would you be? What would you do? For many opposing a United States-led war against Iraq, that question is already answered. The day after the declaration is made and the invasion begins, hundreds will descend at noon onto the Chapel Quadrangle to express their dissent regardless of work, business and class.

The Students Against War with Iraq group has organized a campus-wide walkout should war begin. "The day after war is declared, we're asking everyone in the community to walk out of classes and work and to meet at noon on the Chapel Quad for a rally against the war that is unjustified," said junior Jessica Rutter, one of the event organizers.

Specifics of the walkout were the main topic of discussion at the group's meeting Monday night, organizers said after the meeting.

So far, upwards of 400 students and staff members have signed petitions showing their intent to walk out if war begins, and several professors are already scheduled to speak at the rally. The group encourages faculty members, staff and students to take time out from their day to confront the reality of the war.

"The basic idea is that this is not just an ordinary day if war is declared, and this is a signal that we are not just going to go about our business and let the Bush administration go about doing what it wants to do without our voices being heard. It's worth taking the time out to reflect on what's going on and to commit ourselves to this bigger cause," said event organizer Shlomi Sher, a student at the Fuqua School of Business.

That notion is also being echoed by members of the faculty. "Everyone is going to be distracted that day, whether they are pro-war or anti-war," said Professor of Literature Kenneth Surin. "I think all Duke faculty, staff and students should discuss issues connected with the war."

The walkout movement does not end at Duke. In Europe several weeks ago, millions across the continent walked out of their schools and jobs in protest. Across the nation, many other schools are coordinating efforts to walk out when war is declared including the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.

Senior Jillian Johnson, another walkout organizer, has even made a website linking walkouts with universities around America at www.walk-out-on-war.com.

"We were able to get information from about 50 campuses that are planning walkouts. It's helped to build solidarity for anti-war activists across the country," said Johnson, also a columnist for The Chronicle.

In the local community, action is also being planned. "People in Durham are planning a 24-hour vigil presence in Brightleaf Square, which some of us will take part in," said junior Dave Allen.

Rutter said that, after Duke community members hold their noontime rally, they will march to Brightleaf Square to join the vigil

While the future is not certain, there is a distinct hope that the Duke community will confront the actuality of war.

"A democratic society requires its members to make responsible political choices and to take a stand on the important issues of the day," Surin said.

For these students poised to walk out, their stand is already set. "All thinking people have an obligation to ask questions about what's going on," Sher said. "If those questions cannot be answered in a satisfactory way, then it is appropriate to raise our voices."

Share and discuss “Student group plans walkout after war is announced” on social media.