Editorial: A house divided

Two weeks ago, the North Carolina House of Representatives took the historic step of electing two representatives--one Republican and one Democrat--to share the position of Speaker of the House, marking the first time since 1866 that the position has been shared between two people.

The reason for this dual-speakership is the fact that the legislature is evenly spilt between the two parties, with 60 Democrats and 60 Republicans. This deadlocked the chamber, preventing any one candidate for speaker from gathering enough voters to win. After a week in which numerous votes were taken in an attempt to find a compromise position, the house finally let Democrat Jim Black and Republican Richard Morgan share the position, with them serving as speaker on alternating days.

This solution, while perhaps the only way to deal with an otherwise gridlocked and paralyzed legislature, is not ideal for the state of North Carolina and ensures that deadlock will continue to characterize this legislative session. The fact that the house could not choose a single speaker demonstrates the difficulty of getting anything done in this climate, but the creative solution of a dual-speakership perhaps is an indication that some degree of compromise can be reached.

However, it is clear to outside observers that the current system will not work. The two parties are acrimoniously opposed to one another, and they cannot be trusted or expected to put aside their deep ideological differences. As a result, the legislature will not get much accomplished this year.

Moreover, the fact that the leadership will constantly be shifting will further immobilize the legislature. Without a consistent, coherent leadership, there will be no flow, no constant thread of leadership to form and agenda or guide the legislature.

One good thing resulting from this is that the legislature will not be effecting any negative changes, but with the current budget crunch, the legislature needs to take serious steps to address spending problems, prioritizing different programs, and reexamining the current tax structure. Hopefully, the legislature will be able to compromise when necessary in order to address the state's pressing needs, but it seems unlikely that two groups so divided can make this relationship work.

Share and discuss “Editorial: A house divided” on social media.