Letter: Bad Quran translations confuses columnist

The Quran cannot be translated into any language. Rather, translations into various languages from the original Arabic serve to give both non-Arabic speaking Muslims and non-Muslims a sense of the meaning of the Quran.

English translations by Yusuf Ali, Marmaduke Pickthall, T.B. Irving or Mohammed Asad are most frequently found in bookstores and libraries. Unfortunately, they give a literal word-for-word translation of the Quran couched in lofty English with minimal footnotes making it difficult to understand and easy to take verses out of context.

This is the trap Bala Ambati fell into when he used verses from an English translation of the Quran to bolster his argument in a column several weeks ago.

In this regard, Abul Ala Maududi's The Meaning of the Quran is the ideal translation for both Muslims and non-Muslims because of the depth and detail it provides on each and every surah of the Quran. Background information on the circumstances and conditions in which Quranic verses were revealed and extensive footnotes are provided to give a more complete view of the Quran's message. It is indispensable for anyone interested in understanding the message of the Quran.

I was shocked at my own ignorance when I first began to read his work. I have spoken to the librarians at Perkins Library and it is my understanding that they do indeed have this very translation in circulation.

Anyone interested in understanding the Quran should read this work with an open mind without any preconceived notions and then form an opinion. Are you listening Bala?

Share and discuss “Letter: Bad Quran translations confuses columnist” on social media.