New look Blue Devils ready for 1st game

The Army Black Knights head into Cameron Indoor Stadium Saturday evening without a win against Duke since 1939. In that game, the final score was 37-27.

Needless to say, The Black Knights have their work cut out for them in the Blue Devils home-opener against head coach Mike Krzyzewski's alma mater and former coaching grounds.

Army graduated eight players last year and could possibly start four players who have never been on the court for an NCAA tip-off. Duke also lacks experience, but its superior quickness and athleticism should overpower the Black Knight's presence on the court. Junior Nick Horvath, who looks to see a more prominent role this year, said he thinks the Blue Devils' depth will be displayed in Saturday's contest.

"I don't think it's going to be like last year," Horvath said. "I think you're going to see a lot of different starting five's because our team is more interchangeable this year. It's going to make practice more competitive."

Black Knight junior Josh Wilson, who averaged six points and three rebounds last season, is Army's key returning player. Duke's Dahntay Jones should draw the defensive responsibilities of stopping the Black Knights' offensive threat.

"He's [Jones] always going to guard the other team's best wing player," freshman Shavlik Randolph said. "He's got the strength to defend anybody; he's got the quickness to defend anyone and he's got great playing ability. He's a tremendous offensive rebounder as well."

Unlike many games last year, the Blue Devils' will have a size advantage at nearly every position on the floor. Army's Greg Wallace, listed at 6-foot-8--the only player over 6-foot-6 on the Black Knight's roster--will start at the center position. To stymie Wallace, Duke will most likely send the 6-foot-9, 230-pound freshman Shelden Williams inside to start the game alongside 6-foot-10 Randolph, who has lead the team in scoring in both of the preseason contests.

Duke will be able to rotate several players in and out of the low blocks with Casey Sanders, Michael Thompson and Horvath as reserves.

"I know I'm going to play 25 or 30 minutes a game," Horvath said. "If I start or don't start, it makes no difference to me."

Randolph said Chris Duhon is scheduled to start in the backcourt for Duke, despite a wrist injury in last week's game. Daniel Ewing and freshman J.J. Redick should share time at the off-guard position while guarding Army's Sean O'Keefe or Andy Smith. Sean Dockery will come off the bench for his mentor on the team, Duhon.

On the same night that Duhon injured himself it looked as though Krzyzewski could be out for a few games with a muscle injury to his hip. After a week of practice, Krzyzewski should be roaming the sidelines Saturday against a team he coached to the NIT in 1978.

The Blue Devils plan to throttle the Black Knights early in the contest and test their depth later in the game. Duke starts the season without the hype it did last year, and Randolph thinks the team will be able to improve without any ceiling on its potential.

"We don't want to set limits on ourselves," Randolph said. "We're not placing any numerical value on how good we want to become."

Share and discuss “New look Blue Devils ready for 1st game” on social media.