Franks discusses outburst, upcoming UNC game

Head football coach Carl Franks had a new experience with the sport of football Saturday against Georgia Tech: He received a penalty from the sidelines. Franks opened his weekly press conference discussing the matter, carefully following the NCAA's rules on criticizing officiating.

In the second quarter Saturday, Duke's Brendan Dewan intercepted a Georgia Tech pass, but the play was negated because of a roughing the passer penalty.

Franks began to openly protest the flag, but he said that he did not use inappropriate language. Midway through his conversation with the official, the Blue Devil coach snapped. Franks expressed disdain at something the official said to him that no official had ever uttered before.

"He said 'to hell with you.' I got a little upset about it," Franks said.

Obviously distraught about the incident, Franks randomly spoke about the incident later in the conference.

Franks began by comically reading aloud the exact words of the NCAA's policy of criticizing officials. Franks said he felt that he followed the rules, and therefore began to discuss the issue further.

Franks said that he and the official had a run-in at the Northwestern game, providing a possible impetus for last week's altercation. Franks noted that the official is retiring, and he would not be making any formal complaints against the official.

"He's retiring, no more games. Good," Franks said.

When a journalist asked if he would be attending his retirement party, Franks ridded some of his frustration through humor.

"If I get an invitation I might consider going," Franks said. "I'll come in and throw a flag."

With one game left in the season, Franks spent much of the rest of the conference evaluating the year. Franks felt the team met several expectations.

"Defensively I thought we were a lot better," he said. "Run defense we were a lot better, scoring defense we were better. Turn-overs we were a lot better. Sacks. In those areas we met expectations. Offensively, rushing the ball we met expectations."

Despite his analysis of the first 11 games, Franks knows that the year is not over. Franks said the North Carolina game is as important for next season as it is this year.

"If we win this game, the entire team is coming back," Franks said. "It makes us feel a little bit better going into the off-season. It doesn't take away the close [losses this season] and that kind of stuff, but it validates a little bit of what we've been saying that this team is getting better. We need to win an ACC game to make us a little more legitimate."

Franks is worried about North Carolina's passing game, as the Tar Heels own the number one passing offense in the ACC, while Duke has the worst pass defense. The coach, however, said he thinks this aspect of his defense is improving.

"I feel pretty good about how our secondary played [against Georgia Tech]," Franks said. "I thought we really challenged Georgia Tech's receivers. We broke up some passes."

Franks coached North Carolina quarterback C.J. Stephens while he was an assistant at Florida, where Stephens played before transferring. That will not help the Blue Devils too much, however, as UNC head coach John Bunting has said that freshman Matt Baker will start instead this week.

"I don't know too much about Baker," Franks said. "I'll have to look at the tape and see what he's done so far."

Franks said he looks forward to competing for the victory bell, which has not graced Duke's campus since Steve Spurrier was head coach in 1989. Duke has gone 0-12 against the Tar Heels ever since.

"I think both teams will be very excited to play each other," Franks said. "I know they are a team that is capable of playing a lot better than they've played. There's some really good football players on their team. We'll have to come out and play very well."

Share and discuss “Franks discusses outburst, upcoming UNC game” on social media.