Editorial: Price for Congress

David Price, a political science professor on leave from Duke, has served North Carolina's Fourth District admirably since he was first elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1986, and voters should send him back to Washington for another term in next Tuesday's election.

Price has an abundance of experience as a legislator, but in addition to his practical experience, his background in academia serves him well in the House. Price, one of the most pragmatic, thoughtful and moderate members of the House, has voted with the needs of his constituents over his tenure.

Some of Price's most notable accomplishments in the House is his advocacy for education issues. For example, the Education and Affordability Act, which allows families to deduct interest on student loans and withdraw money for an IRA to pay for college without penalty, helps families from all walks of life afford an education for their children. Likewise, Price has also worked to improve community colleges and promote increases in federal investment in many types of research.

During his campaign, Price continued to push for greater educational reforms, such as providing the funds necessary to hire millions of additional teachers that the United States will need over the next decade. Price is committed to improving education at all levels, from grammar school through college.

In addition to education, Price has worked on issues such as housing, transportation and the environment, addressing issues that are close to the hearts and minds of the Triangle's citizens. For example, Price has said that he wants to create an environment conducive to investment throughout the Research Triangle Park area.

Price's Republican opponent Tuan Nguyen, a 27-year-old flight instructor, lacks the political experience necessary to serve the Triangle well in Congress, especially when compared to a seasoned veteran like Price. While it is admirable that Nguyen would make an effort to run against Price, he simply cannot compete with such a well-respected public servant. And although Nguyen has something of a point when he argues that Washington needs more ordinary citizens, in many cases, career politicians such as Price are those best able to serve their constituents. The libertarian candidate, Ken Nelson, is also a far less viable candidate than Price.

The Chronicle formally endorses David Price for Congress from the Fourth District.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Price for Congress” on social media.