Despite being outmatched and outplayed Cadets gave Blue Devils good warmup

The army's 1991 skirmish with Iraq wasn't this easy. And even if the Cadets had General Schwarzkopf on the sidelines Saturday night, his presence would have been completely ineffectual as Army was overwhelmed by Duke even before the opening tip.

Five minutes before game time, Army sheepishly stepped into one of the world's greatest sports arenas. The unfortunate soldiers knew they were about to get crushed, by the players and infamous fans, euphemistically known as the Cameron Crazies.

When referee Larry Rose walked to center court, he must have been chuckling to himself. Duke's Shelden Williams waited anxiously, his six-foot-nine frame poised and eager to start his college basketball career. Army's Joey Payton quivered and timidly stood at attention, rather than jumping, and watched Williams tip the ball to his teammate.

So much for being all you can be.

Once the game got going, the Cadets did work their tails off. And though senior Andre Buckner and his teammates acknowledged and admired Army's puritan work ethic, it was clear from the get-go that the Cadets didn't have the firepower to compete with Duke.

"They played hard, they played tough," Andre Buckner said. "I think they really maximized their potential. They played a really good game."

And they still lost by 48 points. Certainly, Duke played better basketball, but the X-factor was superior genetics. Duke had superior height, size, strength, vertical leap, speed and agility.

"We're pushing the ball, playing an up-tempo game," Williams said. "Our big men, we've got a lot of strong big men [to help start that offense], so that [effects how] teams can come after us."

Come after Army they did, bombarding them a defensive strategy that would have impressed General MacArthur. The Cadets turned the ball over more often than they made field goals, and were elated just to get the ball past half-court. That defensive excellence was highlighted by the play of Duke's leader, Chris Duhon.

"We just want to go out, be energetic, and use our athleticism," he said. "If we don't use what's going to work for us, than we're just going to be stupid. But, for us to go out and show guys that we're quick, we can pressure the ball, we get in passing lanes, we can rebound, we can go inside-outside. This is a well-balanced team, and we're just going to continue to do it."

Duke is so potent that when the reserves came into the game they were still dominant. Walk-on Patrick Johnson scored his first collegiate point and was serenaded with chants of his name by the Cameron Crazies. Andre Buckner nailed an NBA-range three, picked up an assist, and made a running bank shot from the elbow. Hold up, I thought only Chris Webber could cash in during games?

"I called bank, but I didn't think it was going to hit bank," Buckner said. "Then I said like, 'Wachovia,' and then I thought about First Union, and then I said, 'Never mind I'm not even going to call it because I've had pretty much enough cash in my pocket tonight.'"

Realistically, all Army could do to contain Duke was foul. And hack they did, accumulating 30 fouls during the contest. The pace of the game trickled, as the fans mockingly pleaded with the Cadets in their most clever cheer of the night. Mimicking a drill sergeant and soldiers, the Crazies exclaimed, "I don't know what I been told, fouls are getting really old!"

Truth be told, this was great practice for Duke. Army posed no legitimate threat, but pushed Duke and fought hard all night long. Krzyzewski, who graduated from Army and served as head coach there for five seasons, said he was especially proud of the display of heart put on by the two teams.

Sir, yes, sir!

Share and discuss “Despite being outmatched and outplayed Cadets gave Blue Devils good warmup” on social media.