Crime Briefs

Man steals purse from lady

When a visitor was at the PRT lobby of parking garage 2 near the vending machines across from the Medical Center Traffic Office around 1:39 p.m. Nov. 6, she said she observed a subject approaching her as she was walking with the assistance of her walker which has a basket on it, with her purse in the basket.

Sensing subject was about to take it, she grabbed her purse. The subject then jumped at her and grabbed the purse, but she would not let go. He yanked hard on the purse, pulling her down. She did not let go of the purse and he dragged her six to eight feet across the floor. She finally let go of the purse and he ran off with it. She gave chase but he was able to get away with the purse.

She suffered a bloody nose and minor abrasions as the result of her fall but did not require medical attention. She said a second subject who she only saw from behind was either chasing or running with the subject.

Her $50 purse contained $12 cash, a $350 endorsed check from Iowa Bank, credit cards, a drivers license, a $1,000 silver Casio 30 MHz digital camera with four batteries, a $150 Nokia 5165 cellphone in a black case and keys.

The suspect was described as a white male, 18 to 21 years old, 5'6"-5'9", average to medium build, short dark hair, wearing Khaki cargo pants and a grey hooded sweatshirt.

A witness who followed the subjects toward the escalator to Fulton Street and saw them running toward Elba Street reported the second subject was also a white male. She said she heard one of the suspects say, "Roll dog, roll out" right before the incident.

Students confront car thief

As three students approached the vehicle of one of the students in the metered parking area on Science Drive Nov. 9 around 1:12 p.m., they noticed a male in the back of one of the students' vehicles. They confronted the male, who got into his own vehicle and tried to leave the scene.

One of the victim's friends jumped into the window as the male was driving away. He grabbed the male by the neck and was dragged a few feet before letting go. He suffered minor scrapes to his foot and elbow, but refused medical treatment. The following items were stolen: a $160 skateboard, $60 cash and a credit card.

The subject was described as a white male in his 30s, operating a 1980s white Chevrolet Caprice.

Man tries to enter student's vehicle

As a student walked to his vehicle parked near Epworth Dormitory at 8:15 a.m. Nov. 5, he was approached by a male, who told the student that his car was parked two blocks away and he would appreciate it if the student would give him a ride and give him $13 because he was locked out of his house. The student told the male that he could not give him a ride and suggested he take the bus.

The student had already unlocked his the doors to his vehicle and was about to get in when the male got in on the passenger side. He attempted to leave his vehicle, but the tone and demeanor of the male made him feel he had to do as he was told. He got into his vehicle and drove the male to Brightleaf Square where he again asked him for money. The male saw the student's wallet in the ashtray of his vehicle, grabbed it and took $6 to $8 cash from it. The male then exited his vehicle and he drove off.

The subject is described as a black male, 25 to 30 years old, 5'10", 160 lbs., average to medium build, rough facial skin, wearing a toboggan, black sweat jacket, black sweats with a knit pattern shirt.

Employee struck by vehicle

A vehicle traveling north on Research Drive struck an employee pedestrian who was crossing Research Drive in a legal crosswalk Nov. 5 at 6:53 p.m. She was transported to Duke Emergency for treatment. The operator of the vehicle said that she did not see the pedestrian.

Duke University Police has been receiving complaints from pedestrians about near-misses while using legal crosswalks.

Woman charged with gun possession

Tracey Dawkins Burke was charged with having a weapon on campus. The .38 derringer was observed in her purse while being scanned in the Emergency Department Nov. 9 at 1:54 p.m. Her court date is set for Dec. 18. Burke could not be reached for comment.

Man trespassed from campus

A Duke University Police officer responded to Duke Hospital North in reference to a suspicious person in the lobby Nov. 4 at 9:56 p.m. Subsequent investigation resulted in Wilford Eastwood being charged with trespassing. His court date is set for Dec. 17.

It was discovered Eastwood had an active warrant for failure to appear on an indecent exposure charge from the Pitt County Sheriff Department, and he now is being held in the Durham County Jail. He could not be reached for comment.

Postal employee charged with stealing mail

Duke Police received a complaint Oct. 2 from Duke Postal Operations about employees stealing mail. After completing surveillance work and investigation into this complaint, employee Wallace O'Briant was charged Nov. 1 with larceny of mail. O'Briant could not be reached for comment.

Student charged with taking Allen lot decal

Student Nadine Cheryl Tajirian was charged with possession of an Allen Building lot parking decal that was reported stolen Sept. 13. Her car was towed from the Allen lot, and the parking decal was recovered. Her court date is set for Nov. 23. Tajirian could not be reached for comment.

Intoxicated man enters room

A student reported that around 6 a.m. Nov. 9, as she was sleeping in her unlocked room in House M, an intoxicated white male in his 20s entered her room, pulled the covers off her bed and laid down on the floor.

The male said he entered the wrong room and was from James Madison University and was visiting a Duke student.

The girl was not harmed. Investigation continues in this case to determine if the victim wishes to press criminal charges.

Welder taken from parking lot

Someone entered the parking lot of 2707 Edmund Street between 5:30 p.m. Oct. 31 and 6:30 a.m. Nov. 1, cut a chain and drove off with a $6,000 blue Miller/Bobcat arc welder.

Monitor stolen from Old Chem

Someone entered room 01 of Old Chemistry between 5 p.m. Nov. 1 and 9:38 a.m. Nov. 4 and stole a $700 black IBM flat screen computer monitor.

Crime briefs are compiled from Duke University Police Department reports. Anyone with knowledge about those responsible for these or other crimes at the University can contact Lt. Davis Trimmer at 684-4713 or Durham CrimeStoppers at 683-1200.

Share and discuss “Crime Briefs” on social media.