The Blue Devils sent a message to the women's basketball world by both playing in and winning a No.1 versus No. 2 game.

RALEIGH -- The inaugural Jimmy V Women's Basketball Classic was a clash of the nation's top two teams, No. 1 Duke versus No. 2 Tennessee. It marked the Blue Devils' first time playing in a game pitting the nation's top-ranked teams.

"I would have to say it's our biggest regular season victory," head coach Gail Goestenkors said. "We've never been ranked No. 1 before and had the opportunity to go against the No. 2 team. A program of Tennessee's stature--to be able to play them this early and come away with a win is just huge. I think it's a statement for us, for the nation."

Tennessee, on the other hand, has played in 19 of the total 35 meetings between the nation's top two women's basketball teams, according to the Associated Press. They last played in the one-two game in January against No. 1 UConn, resulting in a 86-72 loss. The Lady Vols are 5-4 in the matchup when ranked as the top team, but when ranked second they hold a 4-6 record. Duke's victory marked the 20th time the No. 1 team has won.

"It's just exciting because this is the beginning of our road," Beard said. "I just felt a lot of excitement for my teammates because we worked so hard for this game and we are going to continue to work hard the rest of the season. I'm just really excited."

Held at RBC Center in Raleigh, the tournament raises money for The V Foundation for Cancer Research, in memory of the late N.C. State Basketball coach Jim Valvano. The women's classic joins the men's, which has been held annually since 1995.

Although the Blue Devils are ranked higher than the Lady Vols, many skeptics doubted their ability to defeat a team which has long dominated women's basketball.

"Going into the game, we had a lot of doubters about our team," Tillis said. "People didn't think that we deserved to be No. 1, so that's motivation. Emotional games like this are just fun, it's what we work for all season. It's games like this that make basketball worthwhile."

The poised Blue Devils played as if they were regulars participating in such a game. Tillis noted that the team remained calm, despite the pressures of being the higher ranked team.

"Really, really tough games like this you just kind of have to settle down and realize that it's just a game," Tillis said.

Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt acknowledged the fact that Duke is establishing a strong program that will pose a consistent threat to the Lady Vols.

"I think going into this year, people recognized Duke," Summitt said. "They were No. 1 in all the polls, so I think people saw that Duke was the team to beat."

This game could represent the transition from Tennessee's dominance of the women's basketball circuit to Duke's burgeoning program. With a 21-point victory over the Lady Vols, Duke clearly proved its place among the nation's top teams.

"Tennessee has a lot of traditions, they're a great team," Beard said. "They've been where we want to go. This game is really exciting to play in because this is like the beginning of our dynasty."

Share and discuss “The Blue Devils sent a message to the women's basketball world by both playing in and winning a No.1 versus No. 2 game.” on social media.