University adds forums to remember Sept. 11

The Chronicle's editorial yesterday, "Honoring the 11th," praising the administration for planning a set of commemorative activities on the one-year anniversary of Sept. 11, is much appreciated. Many people gave a good deal of thought to how best to recognize this day in a way that would be appropriately respectful.

While generally praising the University's Sept. 11 program, the editorial also suggests that the University should consider having more forums than the symposium planned at the Sanford Institute "in order to give more students the opportunity to attend." Your readers should know that since the announcement last week of our plans for Sept. 11, two additional forums have been scheduled, one by the School of Law at noon featuring Madeline Morris, Scott Silliman, Michael Byers, and Christopher Schroeder; and another by the Divinity School at 12:30 p.m. involving Professors Ellen Davis, Emmanuel Katongole, W. C. Turner and Will Willimon. A full listing of events on Sept. 11 can be found at http://www.dukenews.duke.edu/911site.

We hope these forums and the other activities scheduled throughout the course of the day will provide members of the university community ample opportunity to participate in one or more events, and to reflect individually and collectively on the attacks of Sept. 11.

Share and discuss “University adds forums to remember Sept. 11” on social media.