UNIVERSITY BRIEFS

Distinguished alumnus dies

Durham native and Duke alumnus Dante Lee Germino, professor emeritus of government and foreign affairs and assistant dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Virginia, died in Amsterdam in late May in a train accident. He was 70 years old.

The internationally known political theorist graduated from Duke in the early 1950s and received his master's and doctoral degrees from Harvard University. Germino taught political theory until his retirement from Virginia in 1997, when he moved to teach as a visiting professor at the University of Amsterdam.

A funeral service was held in Amsterdam Friday.

Oprah trainer to speak

Oprah Winfrey's personal trainer Bob Greene will discuss his new book, "Get with the Program: Getting Real About Your Weight, Health and Emotional Well-Being" today in Von Canon Rooms A, B and C, from noon to 2 p.m.

The first 300 people who pre-register for the free event will receive autographed copies of Greene's book and the first 150 will receive cholesterol screenings.

Greene is an exercise physiologist and best-selling author of Make the Connection. He began working with Winfrey in 1993, and in their four years together, the talk show host lost 90 pounds.

Carnegie selects SOL

The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching selected the Sanford Institute of Public Policy's Service Opportunities in Leadership program to participate in its three-year Political Engagement Project.

The Political Engagement Project will address the growing disengagement of young people from politics.

Share and discuss “UNIVERSITY BRIEFS” on social media.