University to extend length of orientation

When the Class of 2006 arrives next fall, it will be welcomed by a completely restructured orientation process, designed to prevent freshmen from being overloaded with information in their first few days at Duke.

Administrators hope to expand orientation week throughout the semester and are planning a welcome week in addition to programs designed to continue through fall break.

Assistant Dean of Student Development Ryan Lombardi, who directs orientation, said evaluations completed by over 600 freshmen and a survey of national trends revealed the need to change the program.

"Many of the students said they found orientation too overwhelming," he said. "It's just too much information in a short period of time."

Sophomore Emily Weiss said many parts of the program--including information sessions on study abroad and choosing majors--are irrelevant before students attend their first class.

Lombardi said the new version will have three main components--acclimation, academics and activities.

The first week will introduce matriculating undergraduates to Duke life. "We can't provide a comprehensive view of Duke in this first week, but we can give what is essential to succeed right off the bat," Lombardi said.

In the following seven weeks, the focus will shift from survival to exploration. Each week will have a different theme--such as student involvement or academic success--and an anchor activity. Administrators will encourage students to attend orientation programs, but they will not be mandatory.

Orientation will also incorporate another new policy announced this semester--a summer reading assignment. Lombardi said he hopes the author of the book--which will be named this week--will speak to students in the seventh week.

The culmination, he said, will be a freshman retreat with faculty and upperclassmen during fall break. Currently, the University has a GetAway program over that weekend, but Lombardi said only a handful of students attend.

Lombardi said he plans to expand participation, noting that about 20 percent of freshmen stay at Duke during fall break.

Junior Dave McConeghy said he had doubts about the success of the new program.

"I think the freshmen probably won't like it. I know I wouldn't," he said. "[The University] cracked down on alcohol and our fraternities. Sounds like they're just trying to squeeze us some more."

Administrators remained optimistic that the new program would help incoming students become accustomed to life at Duke.

"As the semester progresses, information will be presented to students when it is most useful to them in the transitional and decision-making process, which I see as a real benefit," said Sue Wasiolek, assistant vice president for student affairs.

Lombardi's focus extends beyond transitional times for freshmen. He said he is interested in helping rising sophomores as well, and hopes to set up a program that will ease the transition to Main West Campus.

Share and discuss “University to extend length of orientation” on social media.