Duke considers distance learning

Although science and engineering majors may seem to be a species of their own--appearing all over campus to study hours on end--in the future many may be able to join other undergraduates studying abroad through distance learning.

Distance learning, which can encompass telecourses, audio courses, videoconferencing and interactive television, may be on the University's horizon as several administrators support the use of Internet-based education to allow students to travel abroad while still fulfilling rigorous graduation requirements.

"One of the things I'd like to do is find a link between study abroad and distance education," said Provost Peter Lange. "The question is, OCan we enrich study abroad with the possibility to take one course [while abroad]?'"

Phil Jones, senior associate dean for education at the Pratt School of Engineering, hopes to do just that. Currently, he said, approximately 12 percent of Pratt students study abroad. Biomedical engineers have even more difficulty traveling because they cannot find appropriate courses.

To change that pattern, Jones said Duke is considering launching a joint program with Vanderbilt University that would send engineers--along with professors to oversee their work--to a university in England.

Jones does not think, however, that distance learning can replace instruction in a classroom. "I don't think that Duke in the foreseeable future is anything but a brick and mortar university," he said.

Sophomore engineer Jason Laderman, who plans to study in Australia next year, said he worries about the quality of instruction students would receive through distance learning.

"It's hard to stay awake in a classroom now," he said. "It will be even harder thousands of miles away looking at a computer screen."

Laderman said he thinks his options for study abroad were greatly limited as an engineer. He said he only had two destination choices, Australia and England, and was forced to concretely map out his schedule for the rest of his undergraduate career. He also said he felt taking a Duke-run distance-learning course while studying abroad would detract from the cultural experience.

Ken Borrelli, a Pratt junior, said studying abroad was not a remote possibility due to the specificity of his courses, forcing him to miss a valuable element of his education. And distance learning would only take away another part of that education, Borrelli said.

"[Distance learning] is a good idea in theory, but you lose a little bit," he said, adding that he values the close interaction he has with his professors.

Margaret Riley, director of study abroad, said she feels distance learning would facilitate some cross-cultural interaction but cautioned that it should not replace traditional study abroad.

"I support anything that broadens the educational perspective," Riley said. "I don't support it if it takes resources away from study abroad."

Gil Merkx, vice provost for international affairs, said distance learning is most efficient when combined with "real" learning in the classroom. It could also be used to enrich students' abroad experiences by providing either preparation or follow-up programs, he said. Although distance learning is primarily used at the Fuqua School of Business for teleconferencing, Merkx said he does see a place for it at the undergraduate level.

"Distance learning is not a substitute but an add-on," he said.

Merkx was also skeptical about transforming traditional classes at the University to courses that could be administered electronically to distant locations. He pointed out that many Duke classes are small and not designed to be transmitted via the Internet.

Share and discuss “Duke considers distance learning” on social media.