MTV Fumbles with Pulp Fiction

Move over, military intelligence. Step aside, jumbo shrimp. There's a new oxymoron in town: MTV books.

Yes, MTV has always been generous in doling out pop-culture pap. From television gems such as Sisqo's Shakedown to screen classics like Joe's Apartment, MTV seems to dominate the market on crappy--yet hypnotically compelling--entertainment options. And now, they've ventured to apply their winning formula for crass into post-modern pulp fiction.

Is nothing sacred?

Call it ambitious, call it unbelievable audacity, but MTV books has published 11 (yes, 11) novels aimed at their teen market. Number 6 Fumbles chronicles a week in the life of Beck, a sophomore at Penn in the late O80s. The oh-so-complex plot revolves around a football player fumbling the ball at a weekend game and Beck questioning what would happen if "she fumbled the ball" in her own life. Omigod, crisis! It's basically a 250-page blur of vodka shots, random hook-ups and cheesy O80s references ("Inside the Pi-O house they're blasting Fine Young Cannibals.") Yikes.

Meanwhile, despite being trashed through the duration of the book, Beck manages to score three A+'s on her term papers. At Penn. Sounds like another school we know?

In any case, Number 6 Fumbles is a thoroughly horrible but entertaining read. It's an experience very similar to actually watching MTV: mindless and shallow, but it still sucks you in (C'mon--how many of us have watched a Real World marathon?) After years of associating reading with scholarly pursuits, perhaps we've forgotten that books too can fill the need for crappy entertainment. Thanks, MTV!

Share and discuss “MTV Fumbles with Pulp Fiction” on social media.