Biology department adds minor, hopes to attract more students

Undergraduates now have another minor to choose from--a biology minor.

The Department of Biology decided at the beginning of the fall semester to offer a minor after academic administrators terminated the interdisciplinary certificate in genetics.

"[I] feel that we can provide something for students looking for a taste of one of the most rigorous curricula in the arts and sciences," said Paul Manos, assistant professor of biology. "[I] look forward to seeing students with all sorts of concentrations enroll in our intro- and intermediate-level courses."

Although the certificate in genetics was traditionally interdisciplinary in nature, the new minor allows a wider range of selection. Biology minors can choose to focus in specific areas such as animal behavior, cellular and molecular biology and plant systematics, in addition to genetics.

Instructors expressed support for the change and Jane Yen, a biology major, said the new minor gives students more options when they enroll in biology courses.

"Maybe it will encourage non-science majors with a peripheral interest in biology to take more biology classes because they'll get credit for it," Yen said.

But some upperclassmen do not foresee an influx of new students in biology classes.

"I don't imagine that having a minor will change much in the department or make students... enroll in biology courses," said Todd Malosh, a double major in biology and economics. "The biology department as a whole is more or less obsessed with ecology, evolution and biosystematics. I think that the lack of diversity in course offerings is the real problem."

Department administrators, nevertheless, hope to strengthen the biology presence in all undergraduate courses of study. Ron Grunwald, lecturer and assistant director of undergraduate studies, said students who are interested in fields outside the natural sciences will be more willing to enroll in biology courses. He added that pre-law students may enroll in biology courses to better understand health and environmental issues, as well as students interested in the financial or legal roles in biotechnology and pre-med students.

"Although a biology minor might not provide pre-med students with significant credentials on their medical school applications, it will give them background, training and experience in biology," Grunwald said.

Many pre-med students currently enroll in biology courses to prepare for the Medical College Admission Test and to fulfill medical school requirements. Although they only need to take two semesters of biology, Yen said they might take more if they enjoy the subject area.

"Offering a minor could allow pre-med students to major in an unrelated field in which they are more interested but still get recognition and the appropriate preparation for medical school," she said.

Instructors said it is too soon to determine how the biology minor will affect course enrollment, but were optimistic that students will be more inclined to plan biology into their schedules.

"The idea of students taking introduction biology, cellular biology, ecology and evolution could lead to greater numbers of science-minded graduates--a goal commensurate with the ever-increasing role of biology in the human experience," Manos said.

Share and discuss “Biology department adds minor, hopes to attract more students” on social media.