Recess Calendar

Picks

Centerfest * Durham's annual arts extravaganza occurs this weekend. Featuring the works of over 130 regional artists, the festival hosts a wide array of individual craft, from handmade jewelry to paintings and other products. And with three stages of live entertainment, Centerfest is a musical tradition too. Check out Hobex and Sons of Steel.The festival is in Downtown Durham and will be held Saturday, 10am to 6pm, and Sunday, noon to 6pm. For more information, call the Durham Arts Council at (919) 560-2722.

Marcel Marceau * (see page 10) They don't call him the world's greatest living mime for nothing. The French master is the creator of an art form, and is still making visual magic at 83. Swing by for a famous smile and take a piece of history with you. Wednesday, September 19, 8pm. Carolina Theater, Fletcher Hall. 309 West Morgan Street, Durham. $30-$40. For info: Call (919) 560-3040.

Campus

Freewater Films

Griffith Film Theater, Bryan Center, West Campus.

7 & 9:30pm. Free to students with ID, $4 for Duke employees and $5 for all others.

Snatch, Friday

Quad Flix

Griffith Film Theater, Bryan Center, West Campus. 7 and 9:30pm Saturday, 8pm Sunday. $4 for Duke students and employees with ID, $5 for all others.

Bridget Jones's Diary

Screen/Society's Cinemateque * Duke's newest film series continues with the presentation of director Charles Burnett's 1977 Killer of Sheep. Killer will be shown at the new Richard White Lecture Hall on East Campus--which offers stadium seating. Free. For info: www.duke.edu/web/film/screensociety/.

CONCERTS

Cat's Cradle * 300 E. Main St., Carrboro. (919) 967-9053. Acoustic Syndicate's fan base has more than doubled over the last year. The band fuses their distinct regional flavor with"jamband" instrumentals. Don't worry, though, they don't come across too "Phishy." Tonight 9 p.m. $14.

Go! Studios * 100 F Brewer Lane, Carrboro. (919) 969-1400. The Gabe Dixon Band has been touring with Aerosmith on their Just Push Play tour. Catch them without Steven Tyler and Co., along with Early Grace in a small, intimate setting. Tonight 10 p.m.

Alltel Pavilion * With so many area concerts canceled because of this week's tragedy, here are some upcoming shows in Raleigh to whet your palate: Aerosmith, Sept. 21 * Lloyd's Blues Music Festival, Sept. 29 * Tool, Oct. 7 * Jane's Addiction Oct. 13. For more info: www.alltelpavilion.com.

Share and discuss “Recess Calendar” on social media.