Improved alcohol policy?

Students have returned. Classes have begun. And this weekend, so will the parties. This time, though, they will operate under a completely different alcohol policy that requires resident advisers to "document" alcohol violations instead of "writing them up."

In addition, there are no longer specific sanctions for each violation, leaving a team of three administrators--Associate Dean of Student Development Kacie Wallace, Assistant Dean of Student Development Stephen Bryan and alcohol specialist Jeff Kulley--to decide punishments on a case-by-case basis.

Under the revised policy, two main outcomes are possible. First, the change in terminology might be just that: semantics. In fact, the administration may actually encourage RAs to increase the number of reports issued for underage drinking. But such instruction would be a mistake; more stringent RA enforcement of the alcohol policy would further damage the RA-resident relationship and lead underage students to drink more dangerously.

On the other hand, administrators could decide to do what they say they have tried all along--to encourage an atmosphere of safe and responsible drinking--by using the new flexible rules to sanction students only when they have done something to harm themselves or others. As the University struggles to walk the line between disobeying the law and making sure students are safe, this policy could facilitate both. Thus, the policy potentially allows administrators with the most knowledge and experience to make the best decisions for each student.

At the same time, encouraging safer drinking as opposed to stringent enforcement will help repair the RA-resident relationship. For years, administrators have expressed a desire to make RAs a resource for students in need, not authority figures ready to crack the whip. If administered well, the new policy will help build the RA-student relationship productively.

Clearly, enforcement of the policy should be different on East and West Campuses, as long as East remains dry. On West Campus, the University should make special efforts to ensure that no students--even those underage--feel compelled to binge drink behind closed doors.

And finally, administrators and RAs should make sure students know the implications of the policy. At the very least, RAs should inform their residents of what to expect and how they plan to enforce the policy.

Given these caveats, the revised alcohol policy has the potential to effect positive change and reverse the trend of increased student visits to the Emergency Department. With more flexible rules, administrators are truly poised to create an atmosphere where students drink responsibly and safely.

Share and discuss “Improved alcohol policy?” on social media.