Conner arrives, gears up for job

Durham's new city manager arrived Monday to start work--and plunged right into her new job with a 15-hour day that culminated in a five-hour meeting of the Durham City Council.

At a welcome reception Monday evening, City Manager Marcia Conner stressed that she will try to collaborate with all of Durham's citizens.

"What I felt when I came in this room... is that Durham has a wonderful community," Conner said. "I need to let you know that I have an open door."

Conner, appointed by the city council in March, said at a press conference Monday morning that her first task will be to study the issues facing the city.

But she mentioned plans to focus on growth, economic development, transportation, providing jobs and fighting crime.

Mayor Nick Tennyson welcomed Conner at the reception and told the audience of about 100 that she had already begun meeting with other city administrators.

"We brought her in today, and she's jumped right in and started talking to department heads about opportunities to excel--which is another word for problems or challenges," Tennyson joked.

After the reception, Conner attended most of the city council meeting, leaving after the biggest issue of the night--a rezoning request for a major development project in southeast Durham--had been settled.

Conner said she was happy to be working in Durham. "We just really need to let people know that Durham is a great place, and we may not be the capital of North Carolina, but we certainly are Othe' city in North Carolina," she said.

Before coming to Durham, Conner served as assistant city manager of Austin, Texas.

She replaces Greg Bethea, who served as interim city manager since previous manager Lamont Ewell left Durham in December for a post as assistant city manager of San Diego. At the reception, Tennyson praised Bethea for his work over the past six months.

Bethea will return to his position as assistant city manager--a step he viewed optimistically. "I'm happy for [Conner] to be here and I'm glad to be back," he said Monday night.

Share and discuss “Conner arrives, gears up for job” on social media.