Therapy may help smokers quit

A new oral nicotinic solution developed by Duke researchers may provide another means of helping people quit smoking.

"We are trying to provide as many [nicotine-replacement] options as possible, so if one doesn't work then they can try another," said primary investigator Dr. Eric Westman, associate professor of medicine. "We think this solution will increase the number of people who stop smoking."

In lieu of smoking, the liquid solution is added with an eyedropper to any beverage, whether it be coffee, tea or even beer, as frequently as the individual has cravings for nicotine. Researchers say that although the philosophy behind the solution is similar to that of nicotine patches and gum, its features are more adaptable to the individual.

"Because people choose which beverage the solution will be added in, it allows flexibility that up to now hasn't been an option in other smoking cessation products," Westman said.

"It provides a built-in dosing flexibility where smokers can adjust the amount of solution added, depending on how heavily they smoke. This way, the product can be adapted to people with different needs," he said.

In addition, liquid nicotine can satiate a craving in roughly five minutes, which Westman said is considerably faster than the release of some other nicotine-replacement tools. For instance, patches are the easiest to use but take several hours for the craving to be relieved. Nicotine-containing chewing gums may actually relieve cravings faster than Westman's product, but the gum may cause dental problems or sore jaws. Other products like nasal sprays, oral inhalers and tablets, contain inadequate doses of nicotine and may nauseate the user.

In concentrated form, the colorless solution "smells like an ashtray" but is tasteless when properly diluted in most drinks, Westman said.

There are also benefits to incorporating the nicotine replacement system in an everyday activity. "By putting the solution in a familiar beverage, smokers occupy themselves with a familiar behavior," said Westman.

"Although nicotine is the most important part of the addiction, we can also [break] habit components of smoking such as hand-to-mouth actions, repetitive movements and consumptive behaviors, to help people overcome their addiction."

The solution itself is still pending approval from the Food and Drug Administration, and more studies have to be conducted to verify the effectiveness of the product before it is available to the public. But preliminary studies seem promising.

Of the 25 people included in the pilot study, 20 percent successfully quit smoking within six months, a rate comparable to the success rates of other commercial products currently available for smoking cessation. In addition, studies looking at nicotine levels in the blood stream found that the solution delivered as much nicotine as a cigarette, indicating that smokers received an adequate dose to reduce cravings. "The preliminary studies lead us to be very optimistic about this therapy," Westman said.

Results from both preliminary studies will be published in the journal Nicotine and Tobacco Research.

Share and discuss “Therapy may help smokers quit” on social media.