Editorial: Wrong place for race

Racial tensions have defined the tenure of Superintendent Ann Denlinger, whom the Durham Public School Board selected in 1997 in a 4-3 racially split vote. Since then, many other board votes have remained separated along racial lines as the same people on both sides continue their bickering.

Many of the board's black members feel they have been shut out of discussions. And if accusations that white board members privately discussed whether to remove Hillside High School Principal Richard Hicks--who faced accusations this year that he tampered with a student's grades--are true, they have a valid complaint.

No matter who is to blame for this situation, everyone needs to act to improve the environment. Recently granted a contract extension--in another racially split vote--Denlinger is not leaving anytime soon.

The superintendent herself should try harder to follow through on a 1997 pledge to improve racial tensions. White board members should be more aware of the concerns of their colleagues. And black board members must do the same. They should unify behind the goal of providing the children in the school system with the best education possible.

The board should be embarrassed that this controversy is brewing in a place where senseless prejudice should be absent. Race should not be a divisive issue that affects the education of children in Durham. Adults should stop acting like children and start working for them.

Share and discuss “Editorial: Wrong place for race” on social media.