From D.U.I. to T.J. Monkey's

Started by five members of the class of 2000, the founders of Duke University Improv, T.J. Monkey's may be a fictional location, but the group and its comedy website are for real.

The name comes from one of their comedy sketches and has developed into "a multi-national corporation," Porter Mason said. "We always said it was a stupid name for a sports bar, so we used it in a skit this summer. We can't do DUI anymore-the joke doesn't work too well in the real world."

At the beginning of their senior year, along with the rest of their class, the DUI seniors were still tackling the age-old question of, "What comes next?" Mason was planning on attending graduate school to study either chemistry or astronomy. John Grant was considering law school. Sean Loughlin, however, was planning on going into entertainment. His ambition was contagious.

Now in New York City, Mason, Grant, Loughlin, Scott Hecker and Harris Brodsky are working to fulfill their dream of creating T.J. Monkey's comedy extravaganza and sports bar complex. Sixth member Nupe Mehta also drops in for occasional guest appearances.

In addition to holding steady day jobs, the members spend much of their time working on their improv, the website, writing television scripts and movies.

"I thought, if I don't try to do something with this now, I'll regret it," Mason said. "I love performing, writing and being creative, what better time to try it?"

Without much of a plan, the group hopes to repeat the success of their past. The original DUI group also did not have much of a plan, but in less than five years the troupe grew to 14 members who performed several times a year and raised over $25,000 for the Scott Carter Foundation for Cancer Research-a charity that T.J. Monkey's plan to stay involved with.

"Ultimately we want to set up a weekly or bi-weekly show of our own-not just improv, but sketches and themed improv with spaces to ask the audience for help," Mason said, adding that they hope to rent theater space within a few months.

In the meantime, the website is updated daily with comedic writings by members of T.J. Monkey's and some current DUI members, including sophomore Seth Weitberg and senior Flynn Barrison, who will join the T.J Monkey's next fall.

The website serves as a place for the members to work on their writing and to keep the creativity flowing while they try to get settled. "It's a great opportunity to practice my writing and to receive feedback," Weitberg said. "To make it in comedy, you have to be able to write."

Though breaking into entertainment is never easy, the history behind T.J. Monkey's puts them a step ahead. "It's been easier for us to get started because we already have a group," Grant said. "We can go to people and show them what we have done as a group for the past three years."

"Basically what I think any good group needs is chemistry," Barrison wrote in an e-mail. "We've got plenty of chemistry. Two B.S.'s and a B.A. to be exact. And we work well together. But ONLY together. You won't be hearing about any Yoko's breaking up T.J. Monkey's, I can guarantee you that."

Weitberg said that T.J. Monkey's are continuing with the traditions of Duke's troupe, raising the bar and challenging improvisation.

"They have an excellent chance to break into the industry and make a significant mark," Weitberg said. "The writing for shows, such as "The Simpsons" and "Saturday Night Live", has become a random blend of comedy. The comedy comes out of left field, really random. This is [T.J. Monkey's] strength. They are able to think outside the box and they're all [extremely] intelligent."

Barrison is planning to move to New York next year after he graduates and join up with T.J. Monkeys.

"I will, in fact, be joining my partners in crime up in New York to add to the wonder that will be T.J. Monkey's," Barrison wrote. "And if that doesn't work, I always have my acting career to fall back on. Yeah."

Share and discuss “From D.U.I. to T.J. Monkey's” on social media.