County hopefuls gear up for race

When Durham County voters travel to the polls next week, they will cast their vote not only for a presidential candidate, but also for five positions that lie a bit closer to home: the Durham County commissioners.

The commissioners, the highest authority in Durham County, are responsible for determining county policy and planning for the county's future. They set the budget and tax rate each year, oversee and appoint officials to other branches of the county government and adopt county ordinances.

Almost all this year's candidates have focused on dealing with the county's expanding population by attracting businesses and other nonresidential development to balance the tax base, improving public education and reducing crime.

The commissioners will also deal with property revaluation for the first time since 1992. Property values are expected to have increased over the last eight years, which will increase the average homeowner's actual property taxes, if not the tax rate.

The county is also planning a long-term capital improvement program that could bring a new courthouse, libraries, schools and other facilities-but comes with a price tag of $522 million. In June, commissioners approved a working version of the plan, which could raise property tax rates by five cents or more starting in 2002.

Nine candidates are running to fill the five spots on the county commission. Each commissioner serves two-year terms, and all five go up for re-election every even-numbered year.

Of the five incumbents, four are seeking re-election: Chair MaryAnn Black, Vice Chair Ellen Reckhow, Joe Bowser and Becky Heron-all Democrats. The fifth current commissioner, Bill Bell, who is not running this fall, is also a Democrat-a testimony to the strength of the party in Durham County, where Democrats outnumber Republicans by almost three to one.

Looking to capture seats for the first time are Democrat Philip Cousin, Libertarian Pam Adams, and Republicans Robert Appleby, Ricky Hart and Tom Stark.

The Republicans admit they have a tough race ahead of them, but remain confident that they can attract some Democratic voters.

"You have to stay positive," Appleby said. "But you cannot win in Durham County without a lot of Democratic votes. The question is, can we get enough of them?"

The Democratic candidates said they see their political affiliation as a bonus, but admit that it alone will not get them elected.

"It brings advantages in that Durham County is heavily Democratic," Cousin said. "[But] other candidates are running who are qualified candidates and who are nice people.... It is a campaign that is issue-driven."

Adams, the Libertarian candidate, could not be reached for comment.

The five candidates who receive the most votes in November's election will take office in December and choose a chair and vice chair from among themselves at that time.

Share and discuss “County hopefuls gear up for race” on social media.