Skyrocketing gas prices pinch purses

Oil prices are rising nationwide, and Durham is no exception-local gas stations are now charging more than $1.50 per gallon of regular unleaded gasoline. But even as prices promise to continue rocketing, most University students, faculty and staff are reluctantly accepting the higher prices and continuing business as usual.

According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, the average national retail price for a gallon of self-serve gasoline has increased from 96 cents March 8 of last year to $1.54 Monday because of a supply shortage created by the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries.

Faced with the increasing costs, University transit officials plan to continue operations as usual, despite additional expenses. "There's nothing we can really do about [the rising costs]," said John Manning, supervisor of Transit Operations for the University. "We still have to absorb the increase and continue our services."

Stephen Burrell, director of Duke Transit, said the University would almost certainly continue to provide normal bus service for the rest of the year despite diesel fuel costs which, like gas prices, have skyrocketed-increasing about 10 cents per gallon each month.

"In sum, it's pretty much normal operations," Burrell said. "Yes, we're feeling the pinch..., but I certainly think we can... hold out until [summer vacation]."

But price increases show no signs of abating. "It's going to be close to $2 for regular gas before the summer," said Steven Mathis, store manager for the University Exxon Service Center on Erwin Road, which currently charges $1.51 per gallon. "That's the projection.... I really hope they're wrong."

Both Burrell and Manning said Duke Transit is trying to conserve fuel by turning bus engines off while stopped instead of letting them idle and reducing the number of "jackrabbit starts" that occur when an engine is started too quickly.

"All the time, we're trying to conserve," said Burrell. "We're redoubling those efforts."

Most University staff and faculty members are unhappy about the increased gas prices, but they say they cannot reduce their gas expenses because they need to continue driving to get to work.

"You cannot cut back when you live [in Durham] because you cannot walk here," said Ruth Maxwell, an employee of the Gothic Bookshop. "Public transportation is also not an option."

Carol Mansfield, an assistant professor of environmental economics in the Nicholas School of the Environment, said during a recession, high gas prices might cause consumers to use less gasoline and thereby indirectly affect the environment.

But, she added, "Right now, the economy is doing so well ... [the increase] is probably not going to be big enough to change [driving] habits."

A few students said they would consider trying to reduce their gas expenditures. For example, Trinity senior Diondre Lewis said his gas costs were so high that he had started carpooling.

"It's been ridiculous," he said. "I live off campus... and I also work out in RTP."

But most students said they do not drive frequently enough to make the price increase more than an annoyance.

"The thing is, I don't really drive very much anyway," said Trinity senior Adam Leikensohn. "I don't have to gas up the car very much."

Trinity junior Eric Rueth agreed. "I've definitely noticed it," he said. "It's an increase, but it's more like a prick-it's not going to alter my behavior."

Share and discuss “Skyrocketing gas prices pinch purses” on social media.