Losing streak reaches 5 for Duke

Baseball fans are historically famous for their optimism.

Wrigley Field routinely sells out despite the fact that there have been two World Wars since the Cubs' last World Series title. Red Sox fans appear hopeful each spring, despite the almost inevitable disappointment when the season ends.

It's safe to say the sport of baseball practically coined the phrase "there's always next year."

But while optimism abounds in the sport, there is not much to be found on Duke's campus. After an awful weekend series against Elon, the Blue Devils (5-14) lost 7-6 yesterday at East Carolina (12-3), blowing a two-run ninth-inning lead.

Despite the ninth-inning collapse, Duke coach Bill Hillier said he saw something he hasn't seen in a while-desire.

"We definitely played better," the first-year coach said. "We had more intensity, we pitched really well and we started hitting the ball a little bit.

"We definitely played better tonight, but the results just weren't there yet."

In the fateful ninth inning, things got off to a rocky start right away.

Trouble for the Blue Devils began when Pirate shortstop Lee Delfino homered off of starter Ryan Caradonna to pull East Carolina within a run at 6-5.

Hillier removed Caradonna at that point, despite his eight-plus innings that included four strikeouts and only one earned run.

With Caradonna beginning to tire, however, Hillier turned the game over to Patrick Hannaway. But Hannaway walked the only batter he faced and was pulled in favor of Kevin Perry.

This move proved no more successful than the last. Pirate first baseman Chad Tracy promptly doubled to left field, and suddenly the game was tied at 6-6. With Tracy on second, ECU brought in Justin Hyde to pinch hit. The Blue Devils elected to intentionally walk Hyde. Then Cliff Godwin hit a grounder to third baseman Jeff Becker, but Becker made an error and all three runners were safe.

Hillier left the dugout to appeal the play at second base, but his dissatisfaction with the called error did little to improve his team's situation. Although Becker was able to field the next play and nail the lead runner at the plate, the bases were still loaded with only one out and the score tied.

Unfortunately for the Blue Devils, the game did not stay tied long.

The next Pirate batter was third baseman Bryant Ward. He delivered the game-winning single as ECU walked away with a 7-6 victory.

"We were up 6-4 and we gave them three runs in the bottom of the ninth and got beat," Hillier said. "I thought Ryan Caradonna pitched very well, but we just didn't finish. We walked a couple guys, we made an error and they got a couple hits."

While Duke came out with yet another loss, its eighth in its last nine games, Hillier said he saw promise in the way his team competed for the first eight innings.

"I told them today after the game that I thought they gave a much better effort, but we still need to be more consistent," he said. "We have to play hard every out, every inning and every game."

Brody Greenwald contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Losing streak reaches 5 for Duke” on social media.