Pradhan plans to redefine VP post

Most years, the Duke Student Government vice president for community interaction focuses on Duke-Durham relations and race relations, and most of this year's candidates have crafted their platforms around these issues. But not Trinity sophomore Anupam Pradhan.

Although Pradhan said he recognizes the importance of the traditional issues, he hopes to take his position in a different direction by looking into the way residential space is allocated in the new dormitory and examining alcohol on campus.

When pressed, Pradhan does not have a recommendation on how to resolve either of these large questions. Instead, he stresses open communication and discussion. "We really need to evaluate who's going to get those housing spots in the new dorm," he said.

On alcohol, one of the campus' hottest topics in recent weeks, he said, "At Duke, it's becoming a problem, because the administration isn't taking a stance on it." But Pradhan doesn't profess to know what that stance should be exactly.

Pradhan comes to the campaign with a year and a half of DSG experience and a deep community service background. He has been a member of the community interaction committee for the last two years and volunteers in Durham, participating in Project BUILD and the America Reads program.

As vice president, Pradhan also hopes to change the InterCommunity Council, bringing in new groups that are not currently represented. "In the last two years, I don't feel like the ICC has been a very effective organization," he said. "Its scope seems to be too large at times."

Pradhan hopes to address student climate is by expanding the orientation program, making it longer and adding more programs like BUILD and Project WILD. Right now, he said, "You find your social groups pretty quickly. You find that social life is dominated by West Campus and drinking."

But any move toward a longer orientation schedule would be fraught with potential problems, said Assistant Dean of Student Development Lisa Dingman. "Before considering lengthening the program, we need to consider why we would do so," she said. "What are the important components that don't fit into the current structure of the program, and is lengthening the week going to be the most effective way to fit those in?"

Pradhan also wants to connect DSG better with the Graduate and Professional Student Council. "They're a huge part of Duke's community," he said. "They can't be ignored."

Current DSG Vice President for Community Interaction Jeremy Huff said Pradhan has been an active member of the committee. "I think Anupam has been a leader on the committee, but he's been more of a quiet leader," Huff said, adding that it would be possible for a quiet leader to hold the vice presidency. "I think there are challenges that he'll face and qualities that he'll bring to those positions that will make him effective."

Lucy Stringer contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Pradhan plans to redefine VP post” on social media.