Grey cites her experience, plans to focus on parking

b

After an active year as a Duke Student Government legislator on the facilities and athletics committee, Trinity freshman Emily Grey is excited at the possibility of taking the helm as vice president for facilities and athletics.

"I really loved doing student government this year, and I was really impressed by DSG and its presence on campus," she said. "It seemed like the right committee for me."

During her time on the committee, Grey's main achievement was a parking safety project.

After University Architect John Pearce approached the committee about creating a parking safety awareness committee to lower the rate of stolen cars and to increase safety, Grey took action.

She worked on a lighting survey to pinpoint areas of low lighting and possible danger and, more visibly, wrote a pamphlet on increasing parking safety. The brochure was distributed to all West Campus residents.

In the same vein, Grey sees parking as the most important issue that will face the new vice president.

"Probably one, if not the most prominent issues, is parking and how we're going to meet the needs of many people, and how that works with the Master Plan," she said.

Grey places great importance on gathering opinions from a range of people at the University.

"Everyone has different goals, and first we have to match our goals between students, faculty and administrators," she said. "Increasing communication between groups is important and then [we can match] our goals from there."

Bob Koch, who heads Grey's committee as the current vice president for facilities and athletics, praised her work so far this year.

"She's been one of the best committee members I've had," said the Trinity senior. "She's been very enthusiastic, very involved."

He added that Grey's interaction with the other committee members is exceptional.

"She has a great way of communicating and interacting with everyone on the committee...," he said. "I think she would do an outstanding job as vice president."

Grey said she thought one of her strengths was the work she has already done on the facilities and athletics committee.

"Working with the same people may be an advantage I would have," Grey noted.

Grey added that although she is a freshman, she thinks her previous experience on the committee outweighs her youth.

"[Koch has] been giving me a lot of advice on the committee and how it works... and so I don't think it would be too big of a barrier as far as getting things done," she said.

Share and discuss “Grey cites her experience, plans to focus on parking” on social media.