Memorial service planned to remember Raheem Bath

A memorial service will be held in the Chapel this afternoon in remembrance of Pratt junior Raheem Bath, who died of overwhelming pneumonia Nov. 27. The hour-long service, scheduled for 4 p.m., will begin and end with Muslim prayers and will include short memorial speeches by four of Bath's closest friends. "I know Raheem was friends with a ton of people, and I think it would be great if people could come honor him in this way," said Pratt junior Adam Carson, who has been Bath's friend since high school. Bath's parents, who will be in attendance Wednesday, have decided to contribute to the construction of a mosque near their Pennsylvania home. Contributions in honor of Bath may be sent to the Bawa Muhiyaddeen Fellowship, 5820 Overbrook Ave. Philadelphia, PA 19131. Students win programming contest: A group of University students took third place in the November regional IBM-sponsored ACM Intercollegiate Programming Contest, qualifying them for the world finals. Out of an international pool of more than 2,400 teams, only 60 advance to the world finals. Trinity juniors Mark Baumann and John Clyde and graduate student Patrick Reynolds will travel to Orlando, Fla. this spring to vie for the world title. Their coach, Robert Duvall, a lecturer in the department of computer science, will join them. The contest itself gives each three-student team five hours to solve between six and eight real-world programming problems. This year's competition included scenarios involving the Y2K bug, human cloning, resource allocation and the monitoring of the use of operating rooms and recovery beds. Study abroad dean will step down: The University is preparing to search for a replacement for Christa Johns, director of foreign academic programs, who will retire at the end of this academic year. Officials hope to have the new dean in place by July. "I hope we'll be able to find someone good...," Johns said. "I'm pretty sure there will be a big pool of applicants."

Share and discuss “Memorial service planned to remember Raheem Bath” on social media.