Rowing reverses tide vs. UNC

A year ago, it was about being competitive. Last weekend, it was all about winning.

The Duke rowing team took three out of five races from North Carolina--a team a year ago they were simply happy to be within shouting distance of-Saturday at the first-ever Lake Michie Invitational in Durham.

"The women had some excellent racing," head coach Robyn Horner said. "Our level of racing has really improved from last year. To have some key victories this early in our program is really exciting."

A year older and a 12-member recruiting class heavier, the rowing team turned the tables on the third-year North Carolina program, reversing a series of decisions from last year's fall season meeting in the Head of the Chatahoochee in Lanier, Ga.

And in a bit of fitting symbolism, the first race of the day-the varsity 8+ race-came down much like the dash to the finish at the Head of the Chatahoochee.

But this time the it was Duke that snagged the gold medal, edging out the Tar Heels by a single second, crossing the finish line in 15:54.

It marked the first gold medal for the varsity 8+ boat in program history.

"It was definitely a big win for them," said sophomore Caitie Cataldo, who coxed the 8+ boat much of last spring. "It was exciting, we've come a long way since last year. It's impressive to see how much more competitive we've become."

And for UNC, the realization that its program was suddenly the second best in a 15-mile radius was more than a bit surprising.

"They were definitely upset with results and surprised with the progress we've made," Cataldo said. "And us? We're just looking forward to getting back at them."

The Blue Devils slipped in the pairs race, however, as the B boat finished second, over half a minute behind the top-finishing Tar Heels.

The Duke A boat crossed the line 40 seconds after the top finisher.

A midrace collision slowed the race's action for the top two boats, but it may have simply been Duke's unfamiliarity with the event that hampered the Blue Devils the most.

"We just started doing a lot of pair work, so the boats are just in their second race," Cataldo said. "But we're pleased with progress. It's difficult to row in a pair; it's a hard thing to learn."

But it was the 12 recruits that signaled the year's biggest difference, obliterating UNC in the freshman eight race. The Blue Devils finished over two minutes ahead of the second-place Tar Heels.

"Great job, no race," Cataldo said, paraphrasing her coach. "Our freshman are amazing, they're so strong and fast and just ready to go for it."

With a pair of races under their collective belt and a handful still remaining, the Blue Devils could hardly be more excited about the upcoming season.

"People are just excited and ready to try new things," Cataldo said. "I think our team definitely is going places and everyone is excited to be a part of it."

Share and discuss “Rowing reverses tide vs. UNC” on social media.