Software bugs delay online registration

Online class registration may be in Duke's future-but not its immediate one.

Due to software problems, the plans for the University to begin online registration service in time for spring 2000 registration have been pushed back to next semester.

"This is new software, and we have been experiencing the same types of problems almost everyone implementing new software of this scope and magnitude has experienced," said Bruce Cunningham, University registrar.

The Student Information Services and Systems project software, of which online registration is a part, is made by PeopleSoft and is designed to synchronize all of the University's administrative departments, including the registrar's, bursar's, admissions and financial aid offices.

"This integration, of course, means that one part is dependent on the other," said James Roberts, vice provost for finance and administration. "We have to set our timelines to ensure that each piece is working and integrates as it needs to."

Roberts said the decision to postpone the "go live" date of the registration and other systems was made about a month ago. "We concluded that pushing for an earlier date entailed some risk but no particular advantage," he said.

He added that the various departments were each more comfortable with the additional time, as it will allow for more testing and better synchronization.

The software has already been implemented by the undergraduate admissions office and several graduate and professional admissions offices. It has also been used by the financial aid offices at the law school, the Nicholas School of the Environment, and the Divinity School.

Patricia Bogart, senior associate director of undergraduate financial aid, said "going live" in phases was the University's goal. The financial aid office will use the PeopleSoft software for the next entering class, and will begin using the system for other classes' data once all other University departments are ready.

"Our experience has been a difficult implementation [of PeopleSoft] because it's a very large system and a very new system," Bogart said. "All the programs we currently use are functioning.... It's a matter of when we are able to cut over. Hopefully it will be seamless for students."

The delays and bugs Duke has experienced are not unique-many schools across the country who purchased the new PeopleSoft software have encountered bugs as well.

Robert Kvavik, the provost's chief of staff at the University of Minnesota, which is further along in the process of installing the software, claims that the system has a slow response time, and that some functions take minutes to complete.

"The performance of the systems, in terms of responsiveness, is simply unacceptable," he said. "My comment to anyone who plans to install PeopleSoft is as follows: If you buy a dance card from these guys, you better be prepared to tango."

Still, Kvavik admits that PeopleSoft is not deficient in all areas, and that he would purchase it again. He said the registration part of the system worked very well, with the problems occurring mostly in the financial aid office, where dispensing financial aid became difficult.

Laura King, director of higher education marketing for PeopleSoft, said there are "significant quality checks" in place for the software, and that many problems have been fixed in later versions. "We're always improving on the software," she said.

J.W. Myers, assistant vice president for information technology and integrated information systems at James Madison University, agreed that the implementation of the software was not easy.

"The new systems are a quantum leap forward for the universities participating in this effort," he said. "That leap has not been without pain...."

Myers was quick to point out, however, that the benefits of the software often outweigh the problems.

James Madison has already seen an improvement in its operations in the human resource, finance, admissions and financial aid departments.

"We have been able to work through most of the issues with either our staff and consultants, or with assistance from other schools," Myers said.

Cunningham said he does not anticipate major problems at Duke once the system is fully in place, and believes it will more likely solve past software issues the University has faced than cause more problems.

"There will, of course, be a period of adjustment as people learn the new system and adjust to the new way of doing things," he said. "There will likely be minor disruptions in processing, but I think the benefits of the new system will far outweigh the temporary inconveniences typical of any new system implementation."

PeopleSoft's King does not anticipate major problems for Duke either.

"Duke has an excellent project team," she said. "We're very confident that Duke's software team... is addressing [implementation] issues."

When the installation is complete by the end of the spring 2000 semester, students will be able to not only register online, but check grades, change address information, view a billing summary and access important financial aid information on the web. "The web services will certainly make life a lot easier for students," Cunningham said. "All of these features are just the beginning."

A special feature of the new software will allow students to register online during the same windows they used for the telephone-based Automated Course Enrollment System, but to actually pre-select courses before their window opens.

A "book bag," as used by many online shopping services, will help students plan course schedules ahead of time, and alert students when classes become full, Cunningham said. "When students' windows open, all they will have to do is go into the system and move those pre-selected courses from their book bag to their registration record."

The new online system will also permit several hundred students to register at one time, as opposed to the 39 that ACES allowed. Cunningham said registration windows will still be used, and that representatives from Duke Student Government and the Graduate and Professional Student Council were consulted and "felt comfortable with the current window structure."

Although security is always a concern for online systems, Roberts said a safe security plan is in place for the system. "Students will not be able to see other students' info," he said.

Faculty will also discover new benefits with the PeopleSoft software. Information about advisees will be more accessible as will class lists. Eventually, they will even be able to enter grades online.

"We are working with a very new product but one that offers great potential," said Roberts. "It has become the system of choice for colleges and universities across the country...."

Jaime Levy contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “Software bugs delay online registration” on social media.