University improves transfer orientation programming

Although many students transferring to Duke during the past few years complained of being ignored by student development and academic affairs administrators, the thirteen transfer students who arrived on campus last week seemed far more satisfied than their predecessors. Lingering concerns remain, however, about transfer credits and housing placement.

"They are really trying to roll out the red carpet for us," said Trinity junior Robert Jannusch. He added that the orientation events introduced them to "all of the people involved with transfer students."

Trinity sophomore and recent transfer Cesare Perlini said, "Apparently they are trying to do more for us this year."

Robert Thompson, dean of undergraduate affairs, said he was approached with complaints last year by Ann Bonner, who transferred to Trinity as a sophomore. He said she "found our process most difficult, unfriendly and lacking coordination."

Tracy Duvall, an engineering senior who transferred here before her sophomore year, agreed. "We didn't meet any of the deans.... Most of the communication I had was initiated by me." Duvall, now a resident advisor for the transfer students on the third floor of Trent, also complained about difficulties in being notified about her transfer credits. "I remember calling several times... about transfer credits," she said, adding that she received ample help once she finally got in touch with the right person.

Thompson said that after his meeting with Bonner, "I agreed with her that Duke should do better, and [I] solicited her help in identifying the objectives and formulating a course of action." Last May, several administrators responsible for transfer students met with Bonner to try to improve the situation.

Although Deb LoBiondo, assistant dean of student development, said the deans are doing nothing substantially different, she noted that there have been two or three more social events this year. These events included a breakfast to meet the student development staff, lunch in Trent Dormitory-where all the transfers are housed this year-and a dinner at Satisfaction to meet other students who had previously transferred to Duke.

From years when incoming students felt ignored, it now seems that administrators may have gone to the other extreme by providing too much information to incoming transfer students. "It's a little confusing," said Trinity sophomore transfer Litsa Lambrakos, who said she received a deluge of communication this summer. "You get all this info and don't know how to relate it."

Despite the amount of communication that Jannusch described as "more than necessary," several students still complained about difficulties with transferring credits. "Transfer credits were kind of a problem," Perlini said. "I wasn't notified for a while."

Robert Kelley, a Trinity sophomore transfer student, said he was still unclear about credits, but added that "I have no doubts things will work out fine."

Transfer students also raised concerns about their placement in Trent Hall Dormitory. "I think it would've been best if we had been put on West Campus," said Lambrakos. "I think we'd probably meet more people."

The relatively low number of transfer students this year-the University has averaged between 25 to 60 in previous years-stems from the unexpectedly large freshman class that matriculated last year. In order to prevent overcrowding as the Class of 2002 moves through the ranks, officials could only accept a limited number of transfer requests.

Share and discuss “University improves transfer orientation programming” on social media.