Soccer coach interviews for job at UCLA

For as long as the women's soccer team has existed, there has been Bill Hempen.

But after 11 seasons at Duke, Hempen may move to California to take the same job at UCLA.

Hempen, who has been at the helm of Duke's program since its inaugural 1988 season, interviewed in Los Angeles yesterday afternoon for the job at UCLA. Hempen said if he was offered the job he is not sure if he would take it, but is intrigued by the opportunity.

"It's hard to say one thing is going to turn me one way or the other," Hempen said Monday night before leaving for California. "There's a lot of factors. I love Duke, and I was fortunate enough to be given the chance to start the program at Duke. I don't know if it's a weird time in my life or what. It's just something I think I need to explore."

The UCLA job was vacated by former Bruins coach Todd Saldana, who took the men's job at UCLA in May. Saldana called Hempen last week and told him about the job and suggested that he interview with UCLA Athletics Director Peter Dalis. Hempen was interested enough to apply for the position.

"Nothing has been decided. Nothing," Hempen said. "It's the curiosity factor-just wanting to see what's going on. I really don't know what I'm going to do. I'm just trying to find the answers."

If Hempen takes the job at UCLA, he might put Duke in a tough spot with the preseason just six weeks away. Duke's first game is scheduled for Aug. 27, giving the program just a short time to adjust to a new coach. When asked if he was putting Duke in a difficult position, Hempen said the program will be fine whatever he chooses.

"Absolutely not," he said. "The team is solid. This team's going to be good whether I'm here or not."

Athletics Director Joe Alleva said he was aware that Hempen was interviewing at UCLA and wants him to stay, but said he has a few ideas in the back of his mind should the coach decide to leave.

"Bill's a terrific coach and I'm going to do everything I can to keep him here," Alleva said. "I really like Bill and I think he's done a great job.... He's a real asset to our program and I'd hate to have to replace him."

Hempen, a three-time ACC coach of the year and 1992 national coach of the year, has a career record of 135-82-15. The Blue Devils have advanced to the NCAA tournament in six of the last seven seasons, but last year suffered through a disappointing 7-11-2 season and failed to win a conference game for the first time since 1988. UCLA, meanwhile, finished 17-4-1 while winning the PAC-10 title.

"UCLA is attractive to me for all the same reasons Duke is attractive," Hempen said. "It's well known, and there's a lot of reasons for a kid to go to school at UCLA."

This past year, Hempen married assistant coach Stephanie Poncher, who is originally from Los Angeles and has family in the area. Hempen said his wife played a role in his initial interest, but says she will support whatever he chooses to do.

"That's not a factor," Hempen said of his wife's hometown. "I think initially it might have been, but she's been very supportive and whatever decision we choose, I think she's going to let me make that decision."

Only one other candidate has been interviewed for the job. Santa Clara coach Jerry Smith, who has been to six Final Fours in 12 years, interviewed with Dalis two weeks ago. UCLA sports information director Marc Dellins said he was unsure if any other interviews were planned, noting UCLA "wants to move as quickly as possible."

Dellins said a decision should be announced within the next week or so.

Share and discuss “Soccer coach interviews for job at UCLA” on social media.