Football's 100-percent graduation rate gives Duke 10th ACFA award

The football team's academic domination continues to grow.

For the sixth time in seven years, Duke will receive the Academic Achievement Award, presented annually to the program that graduates the highest percentage of players in the nation. The Blue Devils recorded a 100-percent graduation rate as all 12 members of the freshman class of 1993-94 earned a degree.

"It's terrific," Athletics Director Joe Alleva said. "One of our top priorities is to have our athletes graduate. And for us to be able to do that is really good. That's what we're all about and it's what intercollegiate athletics should be about. Graduation is first, winning is second. I'm really pleased about the whole situation."

The award is presented by the American Football Coaches Association and will be given to Duke during the AFCA Kickoff Luncheon during the Association's 2000 convention in Anaheim, Calif.

The Blue Devils won or shared the award for five straight seasons before Northwestern won the award last year. Duke has now won the award 10 times and has won or earned honorable mention recognition for 16 of the 19 years the award has been presented. Alleva noted that stellar graduation rates are not only a big source of pride, but can also be helpful when trying to sell recruits, and their parents, to the University.

"It distinguishes us from other institutions," Alleva said. "Our admissions office has done a really good job of taking players that can graduate. But that's what we're supposed to do, is graduate our players. But I'm really proud of it because when you look around the country, there aren't many institutions even coming close to what we do."

The overall graduation rate of the 94 programs that took place in the survey was just 56 percent. Of those athletes that completed four years of eligibility, 70.8 percent have graduated while another 6.6 percent are currently enrolled and working toward a degree.

Although new coach Carl Franks never coached the players who made the award possible, he said he intends to continue the tradition of academic achievement.

"The high quality of student-athletes we have here at Duke, as evidenced by this significant national award, is one of the prime reasons I'm excited about being here," Franks said in a statement. "As a graduate of the University and now the head coach, I congratulate the past players and look forward to keeping up this outstanding tradition in the classroom."

The ACC finished in a three-way tie for first place with the MAC and the SEC, as each league had five members earn honorable mention recognition. Honorable mention is awarded to any school that achieves a graduation rate of 70 percent or higher. Twenty-five Division I-A schools reached this mark. The ACC honorees besides Duke are Clemson, North Carolina, Virginia and Wake Forest.

Share and discuss “Football's 100-percent graduation rate gives Duke 10th ACFA award” on social media.