Duke shortstop prepares for life at next level

For the last few weeks, most of the sports-related discussions around campus have focused on underclassmen forgoing the remainder of their NCAA eligibility to enter professional sports. However, Duke is about to lose one of its best athletes a year early-and virtually no one has noticed.

Junior Vaughn Schill, among the best players ever to step foot on historic Jack Coombs field, said that he is 99 percent sure that he will leave Duke after the June 2 Major League amateur draft. Schill does not have to declare one way or another because unlike their basketball counterparts, college baseball players can make their decision after the draft has taken place.

At this point there seems little doubt Schill is ready for the next level. He is currently hitting .381 with 41 runs and 16 doubles. Schill's performances both this year and in the past two have obviously caught the attention of major league scouts.

At the end of his senior year of high school, Schill was a ninth-round pick of the Florida Marlins. According to the latest information available from Baseball America, Schill is currently no worse than the 19th best player available in the draft.

Schill believes leaving early is the best decision given his situation.

"My whole life I have dreamed of being a major league baseball player," Schill said. "Going pro wasn't the right decision for me coming out of high school, but I think I have matured as a player and person. My college experience will give me something to fall back on if baseball doesn't work out."

According to Schill, the potential financial windfall involved in the draft played a large part in his decision.

"The financial aspect is one of the biggest concerns," Schill said. "The 15th pick in last year's draft got a $1.5 million signing bonus. In my case we could be talking about between $1-3 million in signing bonus alone, not including my contract. That is one big check."

Schill appeals to major league teams both for his size and ability at the plate. At 6-foot-2 and 185 pounds, he is above average size for a shortstop at the Major League level.

At the plate Schill has been an offensive terror during his entire three-year career at Duke. He entered the season as Duke's career batting average leader at .377, and that number has only improved. The 14 home runs he hit last year lead baseball analysts to believe he has the power to compete at the next level.

The main concern about Schill is his defense. He has committed a career-high 20 errors this season and does not have the quickness of the other two top-rated shortstops in college baseball, Bobby Hill of Miami and South Carolina's Brian Roberts.

"I am not playing my best defense this season," Schill said. "My freshman year I only made two errors. But I don't feel any less comfortable in the field. I think maybe I have been trying to do too much this season."

Schill did not waver when ask if he can play shortstop at the major league level.

"Definitely," he said. "I am never going to be a Rey Ordonez, making highlight reels every night. I see myself as more of a Cal Ripken style of shortstop. I work hard and I will play hard every day. Defensively, I want to make the play on every ball hit towards me look as routine as possible."

In addition to the much steeper level of competition, Schill's jump to the professional level will mean a tremendous increase in media scrutiny and fan attention.

Schill feels he is ready for the spotlight and the fan attention.

"Over the summer I played in the Cape Cod league where we would draw three or four thousand people every night, so I am used to the increased attention," he said. "As far as signing autographs, I don't mind doing it and I will continue to do it.

"It is an easy way to give something back to the fans. I think we as athletes have to get rid of that perception that we don't care about the fans."

As Schill ponders his major league future and finishing history papers, he also has to concentrate on the two tasks at hand: the remainder of the Blue Devils' ACC schedule and the ACC tournament. The Blue Devils have had an up and down year, accumulating a 22-22 record overall with a 2-11 mark in the ACC. Injuries have resulted in a lot of new faces in the starting lineup and an almost constantly changing batting order at the beginning of the season.

Schill admitted the lack of stability has made things more difficult but remains optimistic about the team's chances the rest of the way.

"It has been tough," he said. "For the first month of the season there were constant changes. It has really taken us two months to find a working lineup. But the freshmen have really stepped up after being thrown on the fire.

"We are hitting the ball very well right now. Our two definite starting pitchers are doing a great job. With the ACC tournament here in Durham, I really think we can surprise people."

Share and discuss “Duke shortstop prepares for life at next level” on social media.